Tahoe vs Yukon pricing and predicted reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tipsy McStagger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback - I’m traveling for work this week and will go see the 2016 Tahoe on Saturday if it’s still available.

I’m going to do some more digging to try and get a definitive answer to the Tahoe/Yukon reliability gap - if it actually exists at all.

OP
OP
T

Tipsy McStagger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I still haven't pulled the trigger but both vehicles are still available. Only change is the Yukon dropped by $1000 to $34k:

- 2017 Yukon SLT with 76k miles for $34k. Is in nice shape, minor accident reported (rear bumper) but other than that seemed fine when I test drove it.

- 2016 Tahoe LT with 50k miles for $37k. Is in really nice shape with no accidents reported. Heated rear captains seats and premium rims.

I'm still leaning towards the Tahoe - does the price drop on the Yukon change anyone's mind???

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMC is better than the Chevy. I always felt the GMC was better insulated and the metal was better.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see the ratings and complaint numbers, (Tahoe low, Escalade high and Yukon in the middle) it makes me wonder if it's problems with the special features, or gadgets that are what their owners complaints are regarding, because Tahoe's are generally slightly more basic and the Escalade getting the kitchen sink, so to speak. Dunno ?
This. They are the same truck built side by side in Arlington TX with different trim levels. Escalade>Denali>Premier>SLT>LT>SLE>LS. Lots of tech in upper trims can fail causing a lower reliability score; magnaride is an example - it fails a bit quicker, and costs 3-4 times as much to replace vs standard shocks/struts. One good thing about GMC and Chevy - much of the stuff in higher trims can be bolted right on lower trims. Eskies are a bit more unique, but the mirrors are an easy bolt-on mod everyone should have...

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.. the mirrors are an easy bolt-on mod everyone should have...
Hmm, I'm intrigued.. can you elaborate about what my high country Tahoe-Suburban's mirrors don't feature that the new Escalade mirrors would offer me ? I like bolt-on upgrades :thumbsup:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm intrigued.. can you elaborate about what my high country Tahoe-Suburban's mirrors don't feature that the new Escalade mirrors would offer me ? I like bolt-on upgrades :thumbsup:
It appears you may have a T2 (2021+), but for the K2s (15-20) the esky mirrors are much larger with plug n play function. Just the visibility alone is worth the upgrade...

Last edited:

T Ford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think this is becasue of the large number of 8 speed transmissions in the 15-17 Denalis. Yukon quality is great, either are good.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned 2 of the 3 triplets...

Food for thought. The 3 main issues on all 3 are the lifter failures, trans issues, and the mag ride... Once you take all 3 of those out of the equation, Its down right rugged across all 3. Lifter failure is a russian roulette, never know when its going to go pop, just keep clean oil in it, take care of it, maybe tune it out and fingers crossed. The trans issues, 6 speed kills converters, 8 speed just is clunky and shutters. Mag ride, well its its own thing, shocks fail stiff normally and you get wagon ride... There are tips for all 3 of these issues here on these forums. I honestly wouldnt be scared to buy either one of the vehicles you mentioned. So it comes down to features and how do you like the body style. Buying on price alone is one thing, but two comparable vehicles with close to same mileage and pricing.

I just bought my 17 Esky platinum for 37k in december 2023... Just food for thought. Those prices should be negotiable for sure these days.

The yukon and tahoe platforms share almost everything, the Escalade has different glass I think, and insulation package, there is trim around the door openings to cut down on wind noise etc.

Insurance on the Tahoe is cheaper than the other 2. 5.3 can run on regular unleaded, 6.2 is a premium *****. :2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts