Tahoe Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan H Stott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all My name is Alan, I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.3 V8 I love the model and year but I had somethings I would change about it though to make it more functional and modern both inside and outside the vehicle.

Outside:
1) I want to change the lift gate handle to one that has a light on the handle itself.

https://www.newlevelmotorsports.com...n6gTHZAkt4QL0cNcTc4DG4YBKjf1lcL8aAkf5EALw_wcB

If anyone knows anything about these or knows of a good reason why I shouldn't use it then please tell me.

2) I want a fresh coat of paint on the outside or at least a fresh coat of clear and I want to paint the trim parts including the rims black to make it pop a bit.

3) I want to change out the head lights and tail lights to LED headlights and tail lights. Maybe make them the color changing type so i can show off a bit.

4) I want to put a push bar w/light guard on the front and tail light guards on the back.

5) I want to lift the vehicle up a bit to make it ride a little higher than it currently does. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

I might find more i wanna do to the outside but that's what i can think of for now.

Inside:

1) I want to change out the roof mounted DVD Player for Head rest mounted one's with bluetooth Headphones so that the kids or others can views movies me being stuck having to listen to them and I want each person to be able to watch what they want to watch instead of being slave to what one person or the other wants to watch.

2) I want to update the sound system. Currently I have the stock head unit and Bose speakers. I want to update the head unit and speakers to something a little more powerful than the stock. Bose is good but there is better out there.

3 ) I noticed that my Tahoe can have a cargo cover so I wanted to make a solid shelf unit that sits in that spot over the seats so that I never have to take my seats out again. If someone knows of anything like that please let me know so I can look into it.

These were the mods I wanted to do while keeping the body style some what the same. What do y'all think?

GrandStang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Outside:
1) I've never seen that handle before. Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it's your rig. If you like it, go for it!
2) Depending on how much elbow grease you're willing to put into it, you might get great results by just giving the thing a good detail (clay bar, compound, polish, seal). Might save you a few hundred bucks too. This also depends on how good/bad your current paint job is though.
3) I went with black housings with LED bulbs on my rig. I was on the fence for a while, then saw LSXMatt on youtube do it on his, and finally pulled the trigger. They're cheap eBay housings, but so far, I don't have any complaints.
4) I personally like the look of the push bars, but considering I drive mine quite a bit and the MPGs are bad enough, I don't want to add any extra weight on it.
5) Again, I like the look of lifted rigs, but A) that means you'll see slightly lower MPGs, and 2) I live in Los Angeles. There's quite a few covered/underground parking lots where this thing is millimeters away from hitting something up top. So for me, it's a no-go.

Inside:
1) Again, after seeing LSXMatt get a couple of those DVD players, I was tempted to search for them at local junk yards, but for me, I couldn't justify it. I've only got 1 kid, and on long trips, he's fine with a tablet and headphones.
2) I got a media receiver on my Tahoe. It's got bluetooth and hands-free calling. For me, that's all I need.
3) I don't know if this will fit your needs, but I thought this was awesome!

Good luck on your project and keep us posted!

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should do all those upgrade and more!

Get a quality lift kit.

Nice aftermarket fender flares.

If you convert to all LED's make sure to get the proper wiring to regulate the voltage. LED's are notorious for causing electrical issues if you do not, because they draw less power and the computer see a problem.

You should post a pic of your rig.

I debadged mine and removed the lower door trim on all 4 doors to make it more sleek.

You should consider a different grille as well, or at least paint your bowtie black to match your other upgrades.

You have lots of choices for stereo upgrades, but it comes down to what you will use it for.

OP
OP
Alan H Stott

Alan H Stott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Stereo is something I have put a lot of thought into. No matter what it needs to be a Double Din system, I am looking for a unit that will do Auto Nav and allow BT Syncing, Wi-Fi access, Navigation and style I don't need a DVD Player or a monitor in the front because I need my eyes on the road.

I actually had an Idea for stereos, they should have an accelerometer and while BT is connected it should sync with the phones accelerometer and if you get in a crash it automatically sends an alert to Emergency Responders this will increase response time to incidents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeskarS