Tahoe not starting/alarm problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamieeasley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having a problem with the security and starting on my 1999 Tahoe. The battery died because I left the head lights on trying to diagnose a hyper flash issue on the passenger side. Pulled the battery and took it to Autozone to have them test and charge it. It tested good and took a 100% charge. I put the battery back in and now the security system activates, the lights all flash and it will not start. It will crank, act like it is going to run and then just die. Does it every time. Is there a way to disable the factory alarm or reset it so I can start the truck? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you

bassxlr8r

Reaction score
sounds like a passlock problem, how is the security light in the cluster acting? if it flashes when you turn the ignition on and try to start, you will have to re-learn the passlock resistance to the bcm. passlock will disable the fuel pump, usually resulting in either constant crank or it will fire then shutdown after a couple seconds.

if you leave the ignition on for 10-15 minutes it should reset. you may have to repeat this process if it doesn't work the first time. after successful relearning, if the security light comes on and then goes off once the ignition is on for a few seconds, the passlock is working properly and you should be able to start.

if this doesn't work, if you have a multimeter that reads resistance (ohms) i can help you disable the system altogether with a resistor.

OP
OP
J

jamieeasley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to say that it is flashing now but I can't remember. It was just staying steady on before this. I'll check on how it acts and try letting it sit with the key on when I get home from work. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jamieeasley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I came home and it didn't start so I tried leaving the ignition on for about 20 minutes to let it reset and it didn't do anything. Still just starts for a second or two and then dies. The bulb on the dash for the alarm flashes but the actual security word on the dash wasn't on. Is there a way to completely disable the passlock system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyetheguy93