Tahoe going insane? Weird intermittent issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdoa

Reaction score
Knock sensors. Mine went at the same exact mileage. Same symptoms

Reidracer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a contest to see who could be the most unhelpful *****! You win!! Since you were unable to comprehend the original post, let me review it for you. The codes are a symptom and not the actual problem. Also, the problem only manifests on long trips and everything is fine (i.e. no codes to diagnose) when driving around town. My option is to diagnose and fix the problem on my own, or wait until I'm in a serious bind in the middle of a trip and then delay my trip so a mechanic I'm completely unfamiliar with can try to diagnose the problem. Neither of those is acceptable, so I thought I would start on the forum where people are familiar with the issues. Now you are free to go suck the fun out of someone else's day!

You got the first word right, "sorry" as it explains just about everything anyone needs to know about you. I'm also glad I wasn't helpful to you as doing so would encourage you to continue down your path of ignorance.

By all means you should replace every single part anyone mentions on this thread, be sure to buy the most expensive ones first so you can drain your wallet quickly... after all parts store guys gotta eat as well.

I always find it amazing how people who obviously don't know their butt from a lugnut believe they know better how to repair a vehicle problem than a professional with proper equipment.

To help you feel better I'll make a suggestion, change the air in all five tires, it's possible you have low altitude winter air in them while driving at higher altitudes in warm weather. Be sure to completely evacuate the air using a vacuum pump before refilling the tires.

Then change out the fuel pump because it's likely malfunctioning when it gets hot.... nevermind that the fuel pump is submerged in gallons of fuel and likely doesn't see much of a change in temperature over the course of an ordinary drive... But of course spend $300 + on a fuel pump.

Then change the MAF, they're only a couple hundred dollars and you might be able to DIY.... Of course there's no point in considering that the diagnostic codes you saw don't place a malfunctioning MAF anywhere near the top of the list, if it even appears on the chart at all.

Might as well replace the 1/1 O2 sensor as well since there's a code for it. Hell, don't sweat the thought that the O2 in place might be telling the truth, replace it because it's easy. While we're replacing easy stuff... plug in a new set of headlights too, they're really easy. not even requiring any tools.

Let's toss in some spark plugs and the rest of the Secondary Ignition parts, because you might be capable of unscrewing 8 plugs without too much of a mental challenge.

When you're done with that, change out the crank sensor. No actual diagnostic reasoning behind it, but you already have established that the only important basis for replacement is someone suggested it online.

Maybe the TCC solemoid too... just because it's expensive.

Your issue is that you don't know what you don't know and have no idea how much is in that grouping of ignorance. You should by all means do it your way, it's your truck and your money.

Back when I was turning pages and wrenches I loved people like you because I made lots of money. First thing you would be paying me to do is to recheck everything you did to assure that it was right and the cut rate part you bought performs properly. That's usually a couple of labor hours booked to get to where we should have started. Then I can get to work on the problem.

A skilled Technician with proper tools and information at hand could probably diagnose your problem within an hour. YOU set the limitation on what he can do to diagnose the issue in your ignorant comment. Your limitation is yours, not his. Interfacing with the ECU in your truck can provide a bunch more information than simply codes... but by all means do it your way.

My guess is that the problem can be diagnosed in less than an hour, my experience and knowledge steers me in a direction to check that makes perfect sense. But I wouldn't follow that path unless I could verify the diagnosis because a reputable mechanic tries to make the necessary repair without needless expense for his customer.

Good luck with your problem and in repairing your truck; when you get to $1500 and it's still not fixed... bite the bullet and pay someone who knows what he's doing.

Reaction score
Just made a trip from eastern NC to north central WV for my brother's wedding. Was pulling a 5x10 utility trailer with two dirt bikes (all WV weddings require dirt bikes, lol). We got caught in some construction traffic right before the NC Virginia border, barely creeping along for about 45 minutes. Construction ends and I hit the gas to get back up to speed. Kaput kaput bang kaput, tahoe sputters and acts like it's dying, but keeps running. We're trying to go downhill at this point, pedal on the floor, engine is at 4,000 rpms, no acceleration going downhill. I pull into the VA welcome center and creep to the side of the parking lot. Temps are good, oil is fine, transmission has fluid. I watched two videos on replacing the fuel pump thinking that might be what I'm about to do. Put the nearest Autozone in the gps and figured I would limp down the shoulder and get my codes read. Started the truck, went light on the gas, and got it up to 65. At that point, I told my wife we weren't stopping unless it fell apart. Made it to the Flying J truckstop in Wytheville, filled up with 92 octane and Lucas injector cleaner. Truck ran like new the rest of the way in (10 mpg when it was struggling, 16.6 mpg the rest of the way in). This was Friday evening.

Saturday morning I got up and unhooked the trailer. Took the tahoe for a drive around town and it was running like new. Good acceleration, no hesitation, no issues.

Sunday we hooked up to come home. Filled up an hour into the trip (high octane, and another bottle of injector cleaner), 20 minutes later the tahoe has no power and we're pulling 4,000 rpms to go 60 mph. Found an autozone and had them pull codes.

PO301 (cylinder misfire)
PO131 HO2S-11 (Bank 1 sensor 1) Circuit Low Input
PO151 HO2S-21 (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Circuit Low Input
PO446 EVAP Vent system performance
PO131 HO2S-11 (Bank 1 sensor 1) Circuit Low Input
PO151 HO2S-21 (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Circuit Low Input
P1133 HO2S-11 (Bank 1 Sensor 1) Insufficient Switching
P1153 HO2S-21 (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Insufficient Switching

Not worried about the EVAP code, but the others look expensive (but not fatal). I figured I'd force it home or break down near a dealership and trade. Limped back out to the road, no power on take off, dangerously slow acceleration, and NEW PROBLEM, the break pedal now goes all the way to the floor coming down the mountains. It still stops, but way more travel in the brake pedal (fluid was fine). Got to Wytheville and refilled at the Flying J with another bottle of Lucas. I shit you not, the truck ran like new all the way home. Started up fine this morning and runs like a champ, brake pedal was back to normal with the fill up in Wytheville.

Looking for advice on where to start. Not interested in taking it to a mechanic who will replace a valve spring and O2 sensors then tell me it's all better. I think the codes are symptoms of whatever is going on, but not the cause. Something electrical? My mind is boggled, and I can't drive 3.5 hours to Wytheville every time I need gas. Overheated tranny needing flushed, causing a bunch of other issues?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,

It seemed to me that all was ok prior to this event. Many problems that some have suggested fixes for are repairs to nagging long term issues. It sounds like when the "ugly" mode goes away then all is fine and the hoe runs great then when ugly mode shows up, barely runs. I presume from all the codes you listed that it set CEL when the "ugly" mode shows up? Does the CEL go away when it subsequently runs fine again? Electrical?
I had a serious electrical issue with my yukon and i discovered a chaffed wire bundle behind my park brake pedal. When i set the brake, I would get all sorts of strange indications including traction control, fob would not work, ignition was disabled and a plethora of other indications. I inspected a big wire bundle behind the park brake and found evidence of a wire grounding out on the p brake pedal arm. It was apparent as well that the large wire bundle which was one of a few that run through the firewall in that location, had been run wrong and had caused the clearance issue. I disconnected the wires from the plug and rerouted them to the way that looked like it was probably supposed to have been and then there was plenty of room behind the brake arm. The wire was not too badly damaged so I taped it up and re wrapped the bundle and all was fine. No $$ wasted. I was soooo happy that that was all it was.
Your problem seems like it could be something similar however, it would be on an engine harness. Because your hoe runs fine when the problem goes away then not likely a sensor failed hard or a mechanical problem. Your codes look like they may be related to a sensor reference signal. If those sensors rely on the same reference signal from the ECM, then an intermittent gnd on that signal will go undetected by the ECM however it will see a low return with all of the signals from the sensors that are related. These sorts of issues are hard to diagnose because you have to catch them in the act and then probe the ref signal to see it.
I would start with a real good survey of your engine harnesses right back to the ecu. If you cant find anything wrong, then some home work on those codes. Did you reset them? Do any come back before ugly mode. Do they all come back each time ugly mode shows up. Then, do these sensors's wires run in the same bundles or through the same plugs.

Good luck Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts