Tachometer not working fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a dead tach since before my motor swap. I always thought it was a bad stepper motor or sensor gone bad. We'll I swapped the motor and no change in the tach working. I just recently replaced the cluster with one from an 02 yukon denali and still no tach. Everything else worked including the Trans temp. Searched all over the Web and nothing similar to my issue.

I backtracked to one post about how the cluster gets its tach signal from the pcm and remember Best Buy had spliced into a wire at my pcm. I traced the wire to the interior and it was actually cut. I'm on my 3rd alarm so I figured it was now redundant. Well I look at the spliced white wire at the pcm and the wire is cut from the harness and not connected. I jump the wire to the harness and all of a sudden my tach starts working..problem solved.

Moral of the story if you have a shop do any wiring ask them what they plan to do first and how. No way I would have given them the ok to splice that close to the pcm. uploadfromtaptalk1462687857992.jpg

Lumbering along at 75mph and less than 2k rpm..gotta love a 6ltr and hwy gears.
uploadfromtaptalk1462687942817.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645