Swerving/Loose steering question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorCal Nali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I noticed a steering problem on my ride these last couple days and am seeking your opinions. Here's my problem...

1. I know that it needs an alignment as it pulls right when I let go of the steering wheel.

2. My ride has a ton of power so when I really stomp on it and the front end lifts up it pulls strongly to the left and the on occasion the car begins to swerve! The steering wheel gets really loose and you feel like your losing control.

3. I noticed when changing lanes the other day that the car began to swerve side to side and the steering wheel got loose and not respond to my actions. I thought it was the uneven pavement but am unsure.

What are your recommendations as to what I need to replace?

I'm going to get an alignment asap and go from there...

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
Disconnect the EVO steering sensor at the bottom of the steering column and see if the swerving goes away.

Google for more EVO info.

Have the Pittman and idler arms checked.

Stop flooring it and don't drive on the freeway.

Last edited:

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the EVO steering sensor at the bottom of the steering column and see if the swerving goes away.

Google for more EVO info.

Thanks! I just did a search on this and I think this may be my problem. While going through a routine check of my truck after I bought it, my friend (a tech) said everything seemed tight. I told him it seems to 'wonder' on the highway, he didn't have time to test drive it, but told me to bring it back when he had more time to drive and look over. This will be something good for him to look at when I take it back in.
Just as described when googling 'EVO steering sensor'; the truck drives and rides great, but it just feels like I am almost drunk, slightly correcting all the time in my lane. Bet thats good for tires and MPG too :)

Sorry for the thread jack!

scott.milligan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in the middle of the discusson, but this one seems to be one of the more useful in my search efforts to date.

I have a 2006 Tahoe 5.7L and I am having similar issues to those described by others in the thread. I took this information and went to my Chevy dealer only to be told my vehicle did not have the EVO sensor in it?

Can anyone in the link confirm? I crawled under the dash and found an electronic module on the steering column with several wires going to it? Is this something different?

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

medic132

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2004 does the same thing. I replaced inner/outer tie rods, idler and pitman arm and stabilizer links/bushings, then had it aligned at dealer. When it gets above 60 mph on highway and there is any kind of cross wind or "dirty" air from a semi, im all over the place! im worried im gonna get pulled over for a DUI sometimes.:) The dealer claims all the alignments specs are right on. Im thinking of finding someone who can adjust the caster to make it go away because im out of ideas as to what it could be.

MrFleming007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any wear in the front end will cause a problem, and multiple worn components will just compound it. My front end was a never ending battle until yesterday, but at 200k on stock components, I expected that nearly everything needed to be done. I started off with inner and outer tie rod ends, then replaced the idler arm and bracket (BIG difference), replaced the drivers side wheel hub (dang pothole!) and decided to just go ahead and do the balljoints while I was there. Last weekend I replaced the pitman arm, as well as the steering gear box. Didn't want to do the gear box per say, but after bending two quality pitman arm pullers trying to seperate them, I was done messing around, lol. Finally, yesterday I replaced the drivers side inner tie rod again. The balljoint connection to the tie rod had about 1/8" of play in it and I was all over the road. So... long story short, diagnose the problem, buy QUALITY parts, and move on! :Handshake:

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you do when you have 2 shops look at your front end and say everything is fine, and while it's on the lift, I checked everything and it all seems tight. But I still have an issue with a loose steering/wandering issue with my 03 Z71

Jimmy John

Reaction score
So what do you do when you have 2 shops look at your front end and say everything is fine, and while it's on the lift, I checked everything and it all seems tight. But I still have an issue with a loose steering/wandering issue with my 03 Z71
What did you do?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That member was last on the forum in 2014 so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan