Sway Bar Upgrade for Lifted Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As part of my suspension rebuild, I am also considering upgrading my stock sway bars. I plan to put a 4" lift on my 2009 Tahoe most of the posts I have found in the forums about sway bars have been with those that are lowering their vehicle. What brand sway bars would you recommend for a lifted NNBS Tahoe? I do plan to make my Tahoe more of an overland rig, so there will be extra weight on the suspension during travel.

From my research, seems there is a preference for Hellwig, Eibach, DJM, Hotchkins.

Hellwigs are solid, heavy, and EXPENSIVE!
Eibachs are hollow, a softer wallet pinch, not as heavy as the Hellwig.

I am leaning towards the Eibach sway bars, but I have no information if these will be suitable for a lifted Tahoe. I like the idea of the solid sway bars from Hellwig, but I think it might be more overkill, plus I would like to not add more weight, and the price is very high for these bars.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, folks here have indicated preferences for Hellwig and Eibach sway bars. I selected Hellwig sway bars, after reading @PNW VietVet 's experiences with his installation of these sway bars. As such, I purchased and installed Hellwig sway bars, and my experience with these sway bars was the same as his. The sway bars are outstanding, and they make a BIG difference over stock sway bars, in controlling the lean of the truck while cornering. The truck's overall handling abilities go up significantly with these sway bars. Granted, they are heavy, but in the big picture, the difference in weight between these sway bars and hollow sway bars, divided by the total standing weight of the truck is insignificant.

My truck is not lifted, nor do I do any overlanding, so I cannot give you any direct personal experiences in those areas.

Other folks in this Forum will chime in with their perspectives and experiences.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am backing up what @Joseph Garcia is saying, exactly. The difference is amazing, the weight is insignificant and damn the cost. You want quality, it costs. As far as lifted, well I am not a fan of that for any road rig. I get the allure of the "look" but not on asphalt. You expressed a concern about the sway bar costs. Get the savings account full again because when you lift it costs money and will keep on giving because lifted rigs put the rest of the suspension and steering components at risk because of the additional stress the lift causes on stock parts. Others will say, no biggee, but I have seen it.

I have off roaded a lot here in Oregon and had a purpose built rig, 73 Blazer, that had one ton axles and everything that went along with the final result. I saw guys off roading with rigs that were lifted but that was it and they broke all the time. I am not saying you will off road but you still need to be prepared to keep dollars at the ready for the upcoming premature wear out of parts. Have fun though, for sure.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As part of my suspension rebuild, I am also considering upgrading my stock sway bars. I plan to put a 4" lift on my 2009 Tahoe most of the posts I have found in the forums about sway bars have been with those that are lowering their vehicle. What brand sway bars would you recommend for a lifted NNBS Tahoe? I do plan to make my Tahoe more of an overland rig, so there will be extra weight on the suspension during travel.

From my research, seems there is a preference for Hellwig, Eibach, DJM, Hotchkins.

Hellwigs are solid, heavy, and EXPENSIVE!
Eibachs are hollow, a softer wallet pinch, not as heavy as the Hellwig.

I am leaning towards the Eibach sway bars, but I have no information if these will be suitable for a lifted Tahoe. I like the idea of the solid sway bars from Hellwig, but I think it might be more overkill, plus I would like to not add more weight, and the price is very high for these bars.
the only thing you need to be concerned about is the end links, a lifted vehicle = need for longer end links (depending on the type of lift), the hellwig link's are adjustable for the rear, front end links are out there in various lengths by various brands, you will see many on ebay in various length you just need to get a general idea of what you need, my 18 Silverado has a 4.5" lift by california super trucks, it does not widen the front, nor does it require different sway bars or end links. (my signature pic is old from when it was lowered)

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’d lift it first and see how it drives, on and off-road before making that call. Stiffer anti roll is nice on smooth surfaces but it’s your enemy when it comes to articulation and ride quality in rugged terrain. Some members run no bar at all. I’m running OEM and so far it’s a good compromise for street and dirt.

And your choices of tires, lift springs and shocks/ struts are significant variables in ride quality and susceptibility to roll forces as well.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d lift it first and see how it drives, on and off-road before making that call. Stiffer anti roll is nice on smooth surfaces but it’s your enemy when it comes to articulation and ride quality in rugged terrain. Some members run no bar at all. I’m running OEM and so far it’s a good compromise for street and dirt.

And your choices of tires, lift springs and shocks/ struts are significant variables in ride quality and susceptibility to roll forces as well.
Thanks. I was kind of wondering that, too.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I have a 4 inch lift on mine and ran it with no bar for over a year or two and it worked great off road (I do over 4k a year off road) My lift uses stock links on the front but the articulation I put it through likes to wear the bushings out they get replaced at least once a year.. I recently put them back on only because I have done a lot more pavement miles at high speed (75mph plus) this year since I live 60 miles from a big city...

I can't imagine running a stiffer than stock bar for an off road machine. I would actually go lighter not heavier to allow more articulation.

The idea of IFS is to let both wheels move more independent of each other giving you better traction and a softer ride off road.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 inch lift on mine and ran it with no bar for over a year or two and it worked great off road (I do over 4k a year off road) My lift uses stock links on the front but the articulation I put it through likes to wear the bushings out they get replaced at least once a year.. I recently put them back on only because I have done a lot more pavement miles at high speed (75mph plus) this year since I live 60 miles from a big city...

I can't imagine running a stiffer than stock bar for an off road machine. I would actually go lighter not heavier to allow more articulation.

The idea of IFS is to let both wheels move more independent of each other giving you better traction and a softer ride off road.
Thanks! This was helpful!

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
So far as weight. Set up your rig first then figure out what springs and shocks you are going to use. Mine is for over land and desert travel it weighs in at 7080 when fully loaded and ready to go on a 5 day trip. I ordered my King shocks custom with the right springs and it gives me a great ride they also have much longer travel than stock.

Adding spacers or adjusting coil overs to accommodate your weight will result in a harsh ride and limited travel. Having the right weight springs allows your suspension to work at it's peak.

Spacers added under rear springs will raise it up but they will also limit the travel you have. It is much better to have longer springs than a spacer.

When looking for a lift kit go with one that will give you more wheel travel plus the lift.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far as weight. Set up your rig first then figure out what springs and shocks you are going to use. Mine is for over land and desert travel it weighs in at 7080 when fully loaded and ready to go on a 5 day trip. I ordered my King shocks custom with the right springs and it gives me a great ride they also have much longer travel than stock.

Adding spacers or adjusting coil overs to accommodate your weight will result in a harsh ride and limited travel. Having the right weight springs allows your suspension to work at it's peak.

Spacers added under rear springs will raise it up but they will also limit the travel you have. It is much better to have longer springs than a spacer.

When looking for a lift kit go with one that will give you more wheel travel plus the lift.
Thanks. That is a good tip!
I have a BDS 4" lift on order with the Fox VSC coil-overs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts