Swapping exhaust on a Denali 6.2: who here kept their old one/how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to put it in the back of my Denali with the 2nd and 3rd row down. Just get them to put plastic bags on either end to avoid wrecking the inside. Tbh I’m not a big fan of the gmc performance exhaust. Too much drone inside when the dfm kicks in.
@GChahal That comment concerns me. Can you elaborate on the drone inside with DFM active? I have read there is slight drone but just not sure how noticeable it will be. In normal/ non-COVID times I am on the hwy for hours at a time for work. I’m wondering if the drone will drive me crazy.

Anyone else here with the GM Performance Exhaust willing to comment on the drone?

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@GChahal That comment concerns me. Can you elaborate on the drone inside with DFM active? I have read there is slight drone but just not sure how noticeable it will be. In normal/ non-COVID times I am on the hwy for hours at a time for work. I’m wondering if the drone will drive me crazy.

Anyone else here with the GM Performance Exhaust willing to comment on the drone?
On my At4 have only noticed the drone in a couple of conditions - when driving on longer highway hill climbs and also when towing a utility trailer (3k lbs or so). The 6.2 has enough power that it will stay in a high gear at highway speeds in those situations - and I get a drone in the cabin between 1500 and 1750 rpm’s or so. The drone is noticeable, but not awful. If you force a downshift or two it goes right away. Occurs in tow/haul as well. Can’t say for sure it’s got to do with DFM. I had it in L9 for a while and was still able get drone with the trailer. Some people think L9 shuts off DFM.

My home area is not particularly hilly, I’ve not noticed the drone driving around here, including highway driveway.

Only other downside to the Gm Perf Exhaust is maybe at cold start - it’s a little loud. I know that’s what folks want with an exhaust - but sometimes it’s overkill in my opinion.

May not be the same on the extended length vehicles. My At4 is the shorter length.

If anyone in NY is thinking of a swapping their standard exhaust for a performance exhaust PM me!

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I’ll chime in.

Just to be clear on the drone when DFM kicks in, this to me when the god awful dfm kicks in sounds like a helicopter. Drone sounds like a Vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
At hwy speeds.

To my understanding, GM performance is essentially a Borla Touring system which by far is their most quite system they offer. They have the S Type and ATAK. Loud and wake up neighbors loud. I went with the S Type and also tried the XR1 but felt that was louder than the S Type. For me the S is loud but drone is very minimal at hwy speeds. Like i said when drm kicks in it sounds like id you have all windows closed except one (chopper sound). All this is subjective but quite honestly corsa may be the only option if you dont want to hear anything when driving. Now i havent towed but feel that may be loud at hwy speeds.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I’ll chime in.

Just to be clear on the drone when DFM kicks in, this to me when the god awful dfm kicks in sounds like a helicopter. Drone sounds like a Vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom
At hwy speeds.

To my understanding, GM performance is essentially a Borla Touring system which by far is their most quite system they offer. They have the S Type and ATAK. Loud and wake up neighbors loud. I went with the S Type and also tried the XR1 but felt that was louder than the S Type. For me the S is loud but drone is very minimal at hwy speeds. Like i said when drm kicks in it sounds like id you have all windows closed except one (chopper sound). All this is subjective but quite honestly corsa may be the only option if you dont want to hear anything when driving. Now i havent towed but feel that may be loud at hwy speeds.
Thanks for chiming in, hearing people mention the drone on the GM Performance exhaust (everything I have read also confirms it is the Borla Touring) pretty much puts the nail in that coffin for me. I guess I wasn't all that good a candidate for an aftermarket exhaust afterall. :)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with anything other than stock you are going to get at least some drone in CERTAIN situations like mentioned above like parts of a long uphill pull for instance is one you probably will not be able to avoid with any aftermarket system, just kick it down to a lower gear problem solved.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with anything other than stock you are going to get at least some drone in CERTAIN situations like mentioned above like parts of a long uphill pull for instance is one you probably will not be able to avoid with any aftermarket system, just kick it down to a lower gear problem solved.
Understand, but I think I will just stick with the stock unit. It doesn't sound quite as nice as the Borla Touring, but it is fine. I drive like granny anyway. :)

GChahal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, hearing people mention the drone on the GM Performance exhaust (everything I have read also confirms it is the Borla Touring) pretty much puts the nail in that coffin for me. I guess I wasn't all that good a candidate for an aftermarket exhaust afterall. :)
Corsa imho is the best exhaust. I had it on my 2018 F150 5.0, no drone inside whatsoever. But mind you F150 didn’t have the stupid DFM. So can’t tell what a Corsa would sound with dfm.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corsa imho is the best exhaust. I had it on my 2018 F150 5.0, no drone inside whatsoever. But mind you F150 didn’t have the stupid DFM. So can’t tell what a Corsa would sound with dfm.
probably slightly better than a go cart lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n