Suspension questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2012 Yukon xl Denali, magnacharger tvs1800 supercharger, z55 suspension (leveled with ccm 2 front/1 rear lift), 17 " wheels (hankook dynapro atm 265 70r17) with 65k miles that I have outfitted as an expedition vehicle. I plan on driving to Central America this winter, so I would like to get ahead of repairs so I don't have to deal with a dead shock in Guatemala...

I will be loaded with approx 1000 lbs of gear

I am looking to replace all 4 shocks, compressor and dryer prior to my trip.... As well as brakes...

I am looking at arnott, since that seems to be the simple choice...
(Arnott parts as2700 rear, sk2671 front, p-2793 compressor dryer)

Does anyone have experience with these? Do they offer a better ride? Reliability? Know a good vendor to purchase?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated, such as other prep repairs or other suspension suggestions... Clearly I will be on rough roads and some off-road excursions...

I also want to upgrade brakes or at least new pads to increase braking capacity for the 1000lb load...

Thanks in advance

David

OP
OP
D

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the rear is air... Have you tried the bilsteins? I am also carrying about 1000 lbs... Close tong wrong max.. So air may help... I'd like to hear from someone who has experience with this switch...

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Your factory air will last around 150k miles or at least 100k. The extra weight will sag in rear and the air shocks will level. I would just keep the factory stuff in the truck and drive it. Yes I've used the 5100s on my old yukon and loved them. Will be getting a set for the Denali in the future.

Ordo 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 06 Denali, 130K when I bought it and the rear Arnott autoride air shocks had just been replaced prior to purchase. They are new and are still total sh*t IMHO.
It's also funny, Konvict replied with the Bilstein 5100 recommendation and I just recently put those into my Summit wishlist. :happy107:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO keep it simple when it comes to long off-road trips especially out of the country. Yes dump the autoride strut/shock setup. The 5100s would be a good choice since it will also accommodate extra height in the back, and also get a set of air bags to help with the extra load. I have been running Airlift 1000s for about 7 years with no issues.

As far as brakes, make sure to get rotors/pads rated for truck use. This will maximize longevity and reduced brake fade in the mountains to account for the extra weight. Also upgrade to braided lines.

Tires. Are Hankook ATMs robust enough? I did not check the specs, but I would want a load E rated tires with 3 ply sidewalls and 10 ply tread. Don't forget to check the spare and check the lowering mechanism works. Those have been known to freeze up with no use.

Of coarse complete all routine maintenance including checking the battery and alternator.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justjacks07

Latest posts