Surprising Nonchalance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeBoom

Reaction score
Maybe it’s a sign of the times, or maybe I’m just in too much of a hurry. However, I have reached out to seven GMC dealerships, asking them to provide me a quote on a new Yukon, and have yet to hear back from six of them. The one who did respond promised to call me over an hour ago, but has not done so.

Seriously unimpressed.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salesman across the country have become compliant with the easy money they have been making, seeming to forget what goes up must come down. They will remember soon enough what it means to have to earn a sale.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is that you just have to do the work yourself. When you finally find something you want to go look at and visit a Dealership (or not) sometimes you run into a salesperson who is very good, sometimes you do not. It's OK, just be polite. They are just trying to make a living. Decide what you want, what you don't want, and don't count on much help. My last three purchases went great. All the sales people were old timers, experienced, and it went very well. But I knew what I wanted and that they had it before I ever went in to see them. My relationship at the GMC Dealer got me a test drive of a Hummer EV Pickup Edition 1. Wow!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been experiencing this as well. Back in March I put in an order and figured I'd be getting it sometime near the end of summer. Little did I know how naive I was about how this process works.

Now as I know more I've decided to start calling dealers that have what I want or close to it on their site. All of those units have been pre-sold, but I would have thought that a sales person with a customer on the line would go a bit further and say "Well, that unit is sold but could I get your contact information and help you find what you're looking for?" Nope. Not even once have any of these dealers even bothered to ask for my number or said much more than "Good luck."

The last two years has been "easy" for them. They only have so much inventory to sell and they don't have to work for customers - if you won't buy it, someone will come in the door right after you and they will.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also know that we're not loyal, we're calling ten other people so they if you are not loyal to them, they are not going to expend the energy when the odds are you are going to buy from someone else.

My father sold cars for a time a long time ago. One of things he was taught and learned himself was to never bother with a customer who wore flip flops. They were never serious buyers. Well of course, when I wanted to buy a car, I purposely wore flip flops to another dealership and for two weeks I couldn't get the salespeople there to take me seriously. Then one day I showed up in my work clothes and boots and bam! the deal was done! LOL

An experienced salesman knows the cues as to who is ready to buy and who is kicking tires. They play the odds to put food on the table without wasting time, well, minimizing it.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also know that we're not loyal, we're calling ten other people so they if you are not loyal to them, they are not going to expend the energy when the odds are you are going to buy from someone else.

My father sold cars for a time a long time ago. One of things he was taught and learned himself was to never bother with a customer who wore flip flops. They were never serious buyers. Well of course, when I wanted to buy a car, I purposely wore flip flops to another dealership and for two weeks I couldn't get the salespeople there to take me seriously. Then one day I showed up in my work clothes and boots and bam! the deal was done! LOL

An experienced salesman knows the cues as to who is ready to buy and who is kicking tires. They play the odds to put food on the table without wasting time, well, minimizing it.
Phone shoppers get little attention. Show up in person with some knowledge of what you want and you will get the attention you deserve. Might not be right or fair, but it is an honest answer.

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
It’s a weird time buying a car. Hard to find stock, hard to get any kind of deal, hard to order, etc.

As a buyer it is hard for me to pull the trigger on a car:

1. It is $4k higher MSRP than it was last year.

2. I will not get a deal and probably over pay.

3. It will all be for a car that I compromise on, wrong color, missing options, etc.

4. Plus I get to pay 5+% interest on the loan to top it off.

OP
OP
MikeBoom

MikeBoom

Reaction score
Update: two have contacted me. Five have not replied. One of the two told me he’d call at 1 p.m., but didn’t get around to it until an hour and a half later
I don’t disagree with what anyone has said, but it’s a different experience than what I’ve had in over 40 years of buying cars…some of which were in high demand, others not so much. Usually…make that always…I’d find someone who understood that I was serious about buying. Looks like I‘ll have to adjust my expectations.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the people too Mike. I dealt with a guy remotely right before the insanity began, got a great deal and they rolled out the red carpet for us when my children flew in to drive the truck home. Then we did it again recently and these folks were much less so and they didn't get that warm and fuzzy welcome when they arrived and we paid about $10K more for the same truck with less miles as it was the top of the market. Such is life, there's all kinds of people out there.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they aren't having to "work" for the sale - and making out like bandits with the increased commissions...pre-covid new car sales the majority of the time were at invoice or below meaning on paper the dealer wasn't making any money resulting in the commission being a flat payout - usually $100-200. Even at sticker the dealer is showing a $3-4k profit of which the salesman gets 25-30%...so the buyers come to you, don't question the price, and you make 5-7x of what you normally make...imagine the commissions on a Tahoe/Yukon $5-10k over MSRP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972