Supercharged 5.3 a First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 2018 Premier with the 5.3 in Tungsten Metallic. It has 25000 on the odometer.

It is my daily and I use it to tow either my camping trailer or my enclosed car trailer with a 1500+ whpr twin turbo corvette inside.

The stock truck did a fair job at best until it was time to climb a steep grade. Then, it was anemic and I wished I waited the extra 3 months for the 6.2.

So, the only cure was a supercharger. I picked up a TVS1900 kit for the truck and dropped it off with my friends at East Coast Supercharging in Cream Ridge NJ. The did the install and custom tune.

Before the install, the truck ran 0-60 in 7.23 and 15.33 in the 1/4 at 91.37 mph. After the supercharger, 0-60 was 5.56 and the 1/4 was 14.07 at 100.44. The truck was not dyno’d because that wasn’t important to me. This was measured on a Dragy.

It has no additional noise unless at WOT. Drives like stock. Very smooth. Power everywhere. The transmission was not retuned so the shifts are soft and slow. Wish I did this sooner.

I will be trailering next month so I will update but, so far, so good.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds great.

I’m no transmission expert, but I believe that the soft/slow shifts are achieved by intentional slippage, which is a source of transmission heat & wear. Might be worth it to reconsider tuning your transmission to make gear changes a bit firmer & quicker for greater longevity. Just a thought.

Enjoy.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before the install, the truck ran 0-60 in 7.23 and 15.33 in the 1/4 at 91.37 mph. After the supercharger, 0-60 was 5.56 and the 1/4 was 14.07 at 100.44. The truck was not dyno’d because that wasn’t important to me. This was measured on a Dragy.

You don't need a dyno Ira to know how much horsepower she made before and after the supercharger. You just need to know the truck's race weight on those nights and then it's simple math formula to calculate rear wheel horsepower which is more accurate than a dyno anyway.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2018 Premier with the 5.3 in Tungsten Metallic. It has 25000 on the odometer.

It is my daily and I use it to tow either my camping trailer or my enclosed car trailer with a 1500+ whpr twin turbo corvette inside.

The stock truck did a fair job at best until it was time to climb a steep grade. Then, it was anemic and I wished I waited the extra 3 months for the 6.2.

So, the only cure was a supercharger. I picked up a TVS1900 kit for the truck and dropped it off with my friends at East Coast Supercharging in Cream Ridge NJ. The did the install and custom tune.

It has no additional noise unless at WOT. Drives like stock. Very smooth. Power everywhere. The transmission was not retuned so the shifts are soft and slow. Wish I did this sooner.

I will be trailering next month so I will update but, so far, so good.

I am dropping TVS 1900 in mine as well, along with some other goodies. Can't wait for a track day.

OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You don't need a dyno Ira to know how much horsepower she made before and after the supercharger. You just need to know the truck's race weight on those nights and then it's simple math formula to calculate rear wheel horsepower which is more accurate than a dyno anyway.
I always let the track and my ass dyno tell me how fast my vehicle is. My ass said 425. Based on math, I figured 416 whpr. When I used an online calculator, it said 432 whpr.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always let the track and my ass dyno tell me how fast my vehicle is. My ass said 425. Based on math, I figured 416 whpr. When I used an online calculator, it said 432 whpr.

So your race weight was 5520 pounds? Seems light but not familiar with all the trucks. Mine weighs in at 6300-6400 pound at the track.

If your race weight was the same before, the gains after the supercharger was 106 rear wheel horsepower.

OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So your race weight was 5520 pounds? Seems light but not familiar with all the trucks. Mine weighs in at 6300-6400 pound at the track.

If your race weight was the same before, the gains after the supercharger was 106 rear wheel horsepower.

I used 6000 because specs say 5600 without driver - I allowed for added weight of supercharger kit, me, and fuel. If I used 6400, it gives me a response that doesn’t make sense (too high)based upon the engine, kit and boost being made.

My butt dyno is fairly accurate to 1000 whpr. After that, it’s too tough to tell.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 6000 because specs say 5600 without driver - I allowed for added weight of supercharger kit, me, and fuel. If I used 6400, it gives me a response that doesn’t make sense (too high)based upon the engine, kit and boost being made.

My butt dyno is fairly accurate to 1000 whpr. After that, it’s too tough to tell.

Well, a 6,000 pound truck going through the traps at 100.44 MPH is putting down 470 horsepower at the rear wheels. That's the math and is more in line with what the supercharger is supposed to add with those mods.

My XL with my fat butt in it weighs 6,400 pounds.

I learned to not trust the "feel" of the car because once I put a 9" converter in my car and it would ****** the front tire off the ground but in the end lost three tenths and three mph through the traps. I always did the math and made one mod at a time and at least three identical runs to verify before moving on to the next mod. My cars were faster with half the mods. Same with slicks and DOT drag radials. My sleeper cars went faster on radials.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, a 6,000 pound truck going through the traps at 100.44 MPH is putting down 470 horsepower at the rear wheels. That's the math and is more in line with what the supercharger is supposed to add with those mods.
What percentage are you ascribing for driveline loss?
Not sure if it is making a difference in your calcs but mine has 3.42s gears, not 3.08s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14