Sunroof Inoperable when Hot Temperatures Outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HookEmUT25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sure sounds like an expansion issue combined with a weak motor. Is the vehicle out in the sun when it's hot or in a garage? Try parking it in the shade or covered area when it's hot and see if it will open. I would first do what Galante recommended and lubricate the rubber seal with silicone and try that. It could be that the rubber seal is sticking to the glass when it gets hot. Good luck

Yes, out in the sun because it is sitting at my work parking lot... will give shade parking spot a chance but those are hard to come by around high noon when the temps start getting up there. I will plan to swing by an auto parts store or Home Depot and see if they have that silicone available. Any recommendations on brand / type?

As a side note, I opened the roof this morning and climbed up to see view from top down and see white lubricant in the tracks. Not sure if that's original or prior owner had done that but we've owned it for about 2 yrs now w/o having an issue up until now so it doesn't appear to be neglected or bone dry by any means. Still have no clue where the motor resides or how to access it.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to find a liquid type silicone oil if possible so it can ********* the gasket. Nothing petroleum based since it will eat up the rubber. The white grease is probably lithium grease from the factory.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Any way that motor has thermal protection and the heat it disabling it? I know the seat motors will shut down for a few seconds under heavy load.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any way that motor has thermal protection and the heat it disabling it? I know the seat motors will shut down for a few seconds under heavy load.

If that's the case, then the motor is going bad. That thermal overload should not be tripping when it's only 80 degrees and in sunlight unless there is some type of sliding resistance causing the motor to heat up. You would think that a fuse would blow before the thermal overload protector kicked in. You could always do a amp draw test at the fuse to see if that's the problem. My guess is still that the motor is going bad, but trying to rule out the easy stuff first. Sometimes those gaskets can get gummy and almost glue themselves to the glass.

OP
OP
H

HookEmUT25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

This is along the lines with what I was originally thinking it to be but just like Danny said I'm down to try the $5 fixes first just in case. Planning to get the silicone today and give that a whirl. If that doesn't work then I guess I will take a swing at the motor replacement. Thanks to all that have weighed in so far... very much appreciated.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motor would be at front by rear view mirror.

Mattwth85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
headliner is time consuming, ned atleast two people to pull it down, another two to load it back in, min as well dyno mat the roof while you have it down, lol......i pulled my healdiner in my 2016 tahoe, make sure your friends have clean hands and get the baby wipes ready to clean grease spots from that headliner.....

Mattwth85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
BTW, my sunroof has been broke for almost a year in mine now, i have no idea what is causing it, i guess i should look at it....i have a 155 db SPL bass build in mine, my brake booster also went out, and alot of random other do dads on my tahoe...brake booster is what is my issue now though, i need them brakes....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo