Sunroof Inoperable when Hot Temperatures Outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HookEmUT25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have combed through the various threads here and had no luck in identifying a fix for my current issues with my 2015 LTZ Tahoe Sunroof. As of a month or so (when Summer temps crept up), my sunroof will not open when temperatures are around or over the mid 80's. It functions fine in the morning when still cool but by midday it refuses to open at all.

I'm not sure if this is a weakened motor, lubrication issue, or an alignment issue where some sort of swelling takes place in the heat (it wont budge when I apply upward pressure on the window to try and shift things around to catch a proper alignment). I know the electrical switch is functioning 100% properly and I have located the motor replacement on ebay for $100 but I'm not sure if that will fix the issue.

If I do have to replace the motor is anyone aware of its location or can provide a diagram/schematic for replacing? I believe it is between the homelink buttons and sunroof cutout but not sure how to access and can't find any youtube videos or instructions on the web.

Thanks for any input on this... it's been insult to injury to not have sunroof airflow as my AC condenser has been cracked since April and I still remain on the infamous backorder list for that part. I'm hoping the new condenser has a design improvement so I don't run into this debacle again.

**Mods please move to Interior thread if that is a better fit for this question** TY!

Last edited:

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is a convenience feature. Your car is telling you that it is hot as crap outside, you don't want that thing open! haha

But seriously, does it seem to make an attempt to open at all? Any movement? Noises? Creaking? Can you see the voltmeter on the dash drop a little bit when you're trying to open it?

OP
OP
H

HookEmUT25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe it is a convenience feature. Your car is telling you that it is hot as crap outside, you don't want that thing open! haha

But seriously, does it seem to make an attempt to open at all? Any movement? Noises? Creaking? Can you see the voltmeter on the dash drop a little bit when you're trying to open it?

Haha I agree about it telling me to wise up before trying to open the window in the blistering heat but currently having no AC blows that logic out of the water! :)

I hear the electrical "tick" sound upon pushing the open button so I know that the signal is being sent to the motor (and like I said it works every time the car is cooled down with no problem at all). When the sunroof functions during cooler times I hear no pops, groaning, struggle, etc on the glass moving along the track and the speed at which it moves is the normal pace. It's as if the motor doesn't have the "umph" or desire to really initiate the glass moving. The motor makes no noise as if it is even trying to begin pushing the glass back when hot outside. Perhaps some sort of safety triggering that interrupts the motor functionality to prevent further perceived damage? I should also say I get identical results whether using the slide OR tilt button (works in cool, not heat).

For $100 I'm tempted to just change out the motor but not sure how big a job that is if it requires stripping headliner, etc. That's why I was hoping someone knew the steps required. At this point I've only pulled down the overhead console to check the wiring but everything is good there and all of the other overhead buttons work fine. Perhaps the motor is just a bit further out of sight but I shutter at the thought of tearing apart the entire roof lining to get to it.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I agree about it telling me to wise up before trying to open the window in the blistering heat but currently having no AC blows that logic out of the water! :)

I hear the electrical "tick" sound upon pushing the open button so I know that the signal is being sent to the motor (and like I said it works every time the car is cooled down with no problem at all). When the sunroof functions during cooler times I hear no pops, groaning, struggle, etc on the glass moving along the track and the speed at which it moves is the normal pace. It's as if the motor doesn't have the "umph" or desire to really initiate the glass moving. The motor makes no noise as if it is even trying to begin pushing the glass back when hot outside. Perhaps some sort of safety triggering that interrupts the motor functionality to prevent further perceived damage? I should also say I get identical results whether using the slide OR tilt button (works in cool, not heat).

For $100 I'm tempted to just change out the motor but not sure how big a job that is if it requires stripping headliner, etc. That's why I was hoping someone knew the steps required. At this point I've only pulled down the overhead console to check the wiring but everything is good there and all of the other overhead buttons work fine. Perhaps the motor is just a bit further out of sight but I shutter at the thought of tearing apart the entire roof lining to get to it.
I wish I could tell you how to replace the motor, but I have no clue. It just does not seem to me that it would be bad if it works just fine in cooler weather.

Hopefully you get it fixed soon. Still have a few hot months left. Keep us posted!

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
check the fuse, I worked at a chevy dealer 30 years ago. had a new corvette towed in multiple times for a no start issue, lots of parts replaced. customer mad as hell. Turned out it was the fuse, It was heat related It was one of them blade fuses had a crack in it that would expand in the heat. crazy but true

OP
OP
H

HookEmUT25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
check the fuse, I worked at a chevy dealer 30 years ago. had a new corvette towed in multiple times for a no start issue, lots of parts replaced. customer mad as hell. Turned out it was the fuse, It was heat related It was one of them blade fuses had a crack in it that would expand in the heat. crazy but true

I appreciate the input... man that would be great if that was the case! I will give it a shot when I get home and follow-up with the results. Fingers-crossed.

OP
OP
H

HookEmUT25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No luck with changing out fuses just now in the heat... still wouldn't open. Tested old fuse in power seat spot and it operated the chair fine. Any other ideas someone can come up with or additional info on sunroof layout/motor availability?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the rubber is expanding in the heat causing it to stick. next time its open wipe/coat rubber gasket with some silicone lube that comes in an aerosol can, just spray a rag and wipe the gasket and inner metal around roof opening... stop trying to open it the heat before you fix or youll burnnout motor for sure.. my 2 cts

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this one works but on a Camry. The sunroon got stuck on the open position and I took our the front covert to expose the more and it has an emergency manually key to open it or close it. Check if you can crack it open just little bit.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rubber is expanding in the heat causing it to stick. next time its open wipe/coat rubber gasket with some silicone lube that comes in an aerosol can, just spray a rag and wipe the gasket and inner metal around roof opening... stop trying to open it the heat before you fix or youll burnnout motor for sure.. my 2 cts

It sure sounds like an expansion issue combined with a weak motor. Is the vehicle out in the sun when it's hot or in a garage? Try parking it in the shade or covered area when it's hot and see if it will open. I would first do what Galante recommended and lubricate the rubber seal with silicone and try that. It could be that the rubber seal is sticking to the glass when it gets hot. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900