Sudden P0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Recent history- I replaced the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, and got a couple small holes in the exhaust pipe just before the cat welded about a month or two ago. The truck has been running great.

This morning on my way to work, on the freeway, the SES light started blinking, and the truck started shaking, and lost all power. In the fast lane, because you know me. I got it off the freeway after much honking and shouting, and read the codes. I keep my code reader in the center console just because this truck hates me like this.

The only code I've got is the P0300 "multiple cylinder misfire" code. I'm going to check the stuff I just replaced to make sure nothing obvious has come loose, and then I'm going to take it in for a tune up to see what the cam retard is. Can someone make me a picture of a cam retard? I'm thinking the cam position sensors might be the culprit, because when I first got the truck, they were on their last legs. Hopefully I don't need a new distributor/gear/etc. It doesn't feel fuel (spider/poppet) related because I lost at least 2 cylinders at once. My AAA renewal just came in the mail, too. How quaint.

Sorry I've been so absent, guys. I'm having a baby this month, and of my three businesses, one collapsed, one went sideways, and one is going international hopefully next month. I've been a little busy. Forgive me? I'll let y'all know how this pans out, and if I have to replace anything, I promise to write another good entry in the tech info section.
:drunk:

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Got it. The cam retard was fine, so I went back through the path of the spark. The new cap that I put on during the last tune-up evidently burned through itself, so spark was jumping and arcing across the cap. What kind of stupid design is that, anyway? Can't just keep it simple. Nooooooo.... Happy hunting, guys.

:drunk:

GMCYukalade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And it will likely do it again, the distributor itself has a vent on the bottom of it.. the vent has a lil wire screen and is probably stopped up letting to much heat get to the dist cap.. - some people just push the wire screen out as it is hard to clean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts