Stupid steering speed sensor!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El_Helado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I read all the how to regarding replacing sensor but I can't get past the remove pivot bolt and slide lower shaft towards firewall....:favorites68:

Here is a pic to show all that it will move...:
20130418_195803_zps8dc7e465.jpg

What am I missing...???!!!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
either that joint is binding because they have been squeezed together and deformed from bolting or the the shaft going thru the firewall is minding on the one from the gear box.

OP
OP
E

El_Helado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
either that joint is binding because they have been squeezed together and deformed from bolting or the the shaft going thru the firewall is minding on the one from the gear box.

So would I need to unbolt from under the hood side?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
should not need to. if the sliding shaft mechanism under the hood is not sliding you would not have a enough wiggle room around the shaft assemblies to take the entire thing out by disconnection even at the gear itself. i really thing the first joint you unbolted near the sensor has deformed a bit. you could really see where the hardware was biting the metal. you could try applying some clamp force to the sides of the outer tube that are between the bolt hold to see if you "re-form" it a bit to take the squeezing pressure off. otherwise you will just have to keep at it. and getting it back on may be just as bad.

OP
OP
E

El_Helado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
should not need to. if the sliding shaft mechanism under the hood is not sliding you would not have a enough wiggle room around the shaft assemblies to take the entire thing out by disconnection even at the gear itself. i really thing the first joint you unbolted near the sensor has deformed a bit. you could really see where the hardware was biting the metal. you could try applying some clamp force to the sides of the outer tube that are between the bolt hold to see if you "re-form" it a bit to take the squeezing pressure off. otherwise you will just have to keep at it. and getting it back on may be just as bad.

Second day attempt... I managed to get a flat head screw driver (2 actually) to pry and I get alittle further but the prying is pretty intense here is the photo:
20130419_101110_zpscc708fbc.jpg

The sliding shaft under the hood does not seem to budge, I have sprayed with PB blaster and I will see If I have to bang it with a rubber mallet or something.. Any suggestions?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
don't bend the shafts. you can try to remove the flex joint from the steering gear and the next joint towards the steering wheel but don't be surprised if that does not work. and beware of metal strips that fall out of the shaft if moved in or out. when you get the the upper joint apart find out exactly what is binding and fix it. if you get in a heavy frontal collision it might just save you from any chest damage. make sure you put alignment marks between each shaft section and wiggle the heel back and forth slightly while prying to help loosen it up. once off immediately line up the steering shafts and lock the steering so you don't damage the the clock spring in the column and do not move the tires as well. this will ensure proper alignment later. get all the shafts apart again watching out form metal spring strips falling out as you will need them later. clean them out and grease them of with chassis grease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
throwaway5262