Strut boot has tear, how bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was doing spark plugs today and while removing front wheel, noticed the "boot" on strut/coil assemble has a big tear in it.

Will be ordering a replacement part, but meanwhile wondering what's it's purpose?
It doesn't hold air as in the back right? So what happens with the suspension when the boot is borked, will it ride tougher?

Attaching pic where you can see the "boot" ( the big rubber one in the middle ), forgot to take one while the wheel was off.

1663945481817.png

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks folks!

Another quick q, does anyone know by chance if you can convert ONLY the front Z55 and keep rear air shocks with compressor?
Or the computer wants both working together?

Might have to convert to regular struts in future, the only adequately priced struts with Z55 were "FCS 99085", but these show up as out of stock and unavailable on Rockauto now.
The next available is Arnott, but these are 650$ CAD + Shipping each on Rockauto, that's a little too much.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks folks!

Another quick q, does anyone know by chance if you can convert ONLY the front Z55 and keep rear air shocks with compressor?
Or the computer wants both working together?

Might have to convert to regular struts in future, the only adequately priced struts with Z55 were "FCS 99085", but these show up as out of stock and unavailable on Rockauto now.
The next available is Arnott, but these are 650$ CAD + Shipping each on Rockauto, that's a little too much.
you only need the shock portion of the strut for either side and the plastic cone, the strut spring can be compressed and all the parts can be swapped over. this is basically rebuilding the strut versus complete replacement.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you only need the shock portion of the strut for either side and the plastic cone, the strut spring can be compressed and all the parts can be swapped over. this is basically rebuilding the strut versus complete replacement.
Unfortunately nothing is available for Z55 on just struts either :(
Rockauto has Arnott only for Z95, for Z55 there seems to be MONROE or SACHS, but both are still over 500$ CAD + shipping each.

Guess i'll see closer to christmas, might decide by then if i want to convert to save $ or go for Monroe 40047s as Christmas present for the truck!
( Maybe Christmas discounts kick in as well? )

Wonder how much different the regular suspesions is, air ride just feels so smooth...
Also just replaced the compressor and air shocks look brand new, wouldn't want to have whole setup go to waste

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Might end up replacing sooner, the driver side looks shot, measured both sides and drive sides sits about inch lower, guess thats why i felt like my Fat ass was leaning left haha.

Guess ill keep z55 and get tool rented to get the strut out

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I skipped the ACDELCO ones since they didn't look like ones that fit Z55s, or am i missing something?
yes the ones I pictured are auto-ride shocks, i replaced mine with the 491's on my denali, all those ac delco from RA now have a lifetime warranty as of 2018, i bought mine 2017
just match the code in the list in the glove box

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne