Strange Noise on Drivers Side.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNMINCT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully the video file in the link below is accessible....

This is my wifes 2018 Tahoe. 17k miles. We purchased it about 2 months ago. About a week after we had it home it started making this horrible sound. The sound is random... some days it's worse than others. Some days it won't make the noise all day.

We thought the sounds was coming from the drivers side vent (wife is holding the end of the phone up around the vent, just so happens the video is pointing down at the floor).

Here are some of the things I have observed....

- Sound happens at very low speeds, around 25-35 mph.
- Only makes the sound when moving, not at a stand still.
- Happens even when all of the climate control things are turned off or on.
- Seems to happen most of time when coasting and down hill (not accelerating).

Since making the video I have removed the drivers side dash vent... still makes the noise. Stuffed a towel in the vent tubes, still makes the sound just as loud. Pretty sure it's not coming from the vent.

So then I removed the side dash fuse cover, the lower trim cover (under the steering wheel), the light switches, then the door panel, the trim around the inside of the window and then last was the drivers side mirror. I also taped up the outside of the door seems. STILL MAKES THE NOISE!

I can hear it so clearly but for the life of me can't figure out where it's coming from. I can't even tell if it's a wind noise, vibration noise or mechanical noise.

It is going to the dealer tomorrow, but my fear is they will say they didn't hear it. I sent the below video to them last week and the service manager said... "sounds like normal wind noise". What sucks is with all of this Coronavirous crap I can't even do a test drive with them.

My wife said if the noise can't be fixed she doesn't want the truck (I can hardly blame her, it's annoying as hell).

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can look for or have the dealership do? Should I contact GM if the dealer gives me the run around. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

49822048772_8476abc7e9_c.jpgTahoe Noise Video by Mark Krumenacker, on Flickr

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesn't sound like normal wind noise at all, it does sound like maybe it is coming from outside though, do you have a bug shield or any window visors installed? anything aftermarket on the vehicle?

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a vacuum leak - possibly one of the hvac components.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe it is wind noise. The fact that it happens mainly on deceleration and coasting, it could be a vacuum leak somewhere as Derek suggested.

Might try holding or taping the phone in different positions like under the dash or if you’re brave to the top of the fuse box cover under the hood to see if that helps pin point the sound better.

If you roll the window down and stick your ear out the window can you hear it from outside the vehicle? If your wife drives past your house and decelerates, can you hear it while standing beside the road?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking an exhaust heat shield or something when the wind and vibration is just right, maybe something in the engine compartment, like a piece of plastic (fuse box cover, etc.)

OP
OP
MNMINCT

MNMINCT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is nothing aftermarket on the truck. You can not hear it outside of the truck, it's definitely coming from inside . I'm leaving now to drop it off at the dealership. Hopefully it will make the noise for them (as I mentioned it is random). I told them they can have the truck as long as needed. Need this fixed.... driving us (especially my wife) crazy.

I will provide an update......

OP
OP
MNMINCT

MNMINCT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck was at the dealership for 2 weeks. The claim they only heard the noise once. They also claim they replaced a couple things after speaking with GM. I picked up the truck and driving home it starting making the noise!

So just this past weekend I decided to dive into this again myself to try and find this mystery random noise. Well after 2 days I found out where the noise is coming from!

I tracked it down to the Bose speaker in the drivers side door. Please listen to the attached video…. I have the mic end of my phone right up against the speaker so it does sound alot worse that it really is, but it is a very annoying buzz. I removed the speaker, unplugged it, then reinstalled the speaker without being plugged in…. no noise. Plugged it back in…. noise.

I don’t know if it’s the actual speaker, the amp, radio unit, ground or what but the noise is coming from the speaker and it’s definitely a signal issue vs a vibration issue. Even with the radio off or muted it still makes the noise. Only makes the noise when driving/moving at low speeds (27 mph is the sweet spot). Will not make the noise at a stand-still.

I reached out to the dealer again and waiting to hear back from them. I guess it will be going back to them again!

You guys have any suggestions?

49916280396_5b92c28bb5_k.jpgIMG_8602 by Mark Krumenacker, on Flickr

Idaho Tater

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder if it's the active noise cancellation trying to cancel out a specific frequency at that speed? If the speaker was "well-loved" at any point, the surround may not like a particular frequency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2