steering wheel shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

64chevelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Test drove a 05 z71 with aftermarket 17 with 285s. Right when I went to test drive he said it needs tires balanced the wheel shakes. So I leave and feel it slightly I let go of the wheel it runs straight down the road but had a shake at the steering wheel. Then it went away and I never really felt it the rest of the test drive....thoughts?

OP
OP

64chevelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was wondering and should be a cheap fix I hope. With it having 285s I was wondering if the keys were cranked and it wore out front end parts....just trying to cover my bases hate to spend 7k and have alot of repairs right away

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was wondering and should be a cheap fix I hope. With it having 285s I was wondering if the keys were cranked and it wore out front end parts....just trying to cover my bases hate to spend 7k and have alot of repairs right away

If you do all the work yourself yes it would be pretty cheap. Those parts wear out often if the truck is drive off road alot.

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
Check the Pitman and idler arms for play. I just put 20's on mine (305/50-20), and have a floating/sloppy steering wheel play. Ball joints and Tie rods are all good, noticed a lot of play in my pitman/idler arms.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont get ahead of yourself first off if its a dealer id make him figure all that out before you decided to buy it
if its a private seller id find a good shop in town and have him bring it down there and have it inspected before hand and see what they say is wrong then if they "X" is wrong "okay how much to fix X" they say itll costs roughly 300 to fix X then you can either renegoitiate with the owner on his price or tell him he has to fix it before you buy it
and if he says hes already had it inspected heres a invoice id verify it yerself
or if he flat out refuses to let you have it inspected then tell him no sell

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dropped mine off at the mechanism called me back whole front end is shot. And I had everything replaced when I lowered the truck 2 summers ago. Mine would start shaking the steering wheel around 40mph.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would want to make sure the frame is not damaged from a hidden wreck. If it has a diamond in it and is tweaked then the caster may be too high on one side or both and that can cause a caster shimmy. Front end parts worn out can alos cause a shake. So can a bad tire or out of balance tires. Move the tires front to rear and roadtest again. See what happens. Numerous things can be wrong with it and to hope we can give you the exact answer for the problem without having checked by a qualified tech can get expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman