Steering Wheel Peeling? Here's Your $5, 30 Minute Solution!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the picture the coating is very thick. Mine came of super easy. I was in a drive- thru with my debit card in hand. I scraped it where it was already coming off, and it came off really easy. The coating was not nearly as thick. But the results are good and price in my case was zero.

RoliO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sux that a 4 year old $50K+ vehicle has issues like this! I need to address mine soon.

brenttk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Easy fix for peeling Steering Wheel "rubberized" paint

I peeled the paint off my ugly peeling steering wheel
taped off the steering wheel & controls
masked the dash so that the only parts visible were the trim pieces
Spray painted the trim with Performix (TM) Plasti Dip (Black)

Now have perfect trim pieces that look and feel factory. No idea how long it will last. Got the idea from a guy who painted his wheels with this stuff and it appeared to be adhereing well.

Mr Avi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my Avalanche.... So I decided to sand both pieces down just enough to get rid of the plastic coating....

kg5q

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the tip - my fix

I had the exact same issue. For the life of me I dont know why GM would apply something like this to the plastic in the first place however it was peeling off just as others reported. My solution was to go to Autozone and obtain some goof off automotive cleaner. I taped off the areas around the area of interest to protect the switches and other parts of the wheel. I then used Q-tips and saturated in the goof off and proceeded to let it soak in a bit. After 15 min or so the peeling coating of whatever it is came right off. I then cleaned and buffed it with a rag and then applied some wax to the now exposed clean plastic. It looks great.
I took the vehicle to the car wash to have them clean out the interior and mats to get the remaining flakes of whatever it is off the floor. GM could save some money and simply not apply this crummy stuff to the plastic. Based on results it simply does not last. I wanted to find a cleaner which took off the peeling coating but did not damage the plastic beneath - the goof off cleaner did exactly what it was supposed to without damaging anything else. the more you let it soak into the offending coating the better it seems to soften and remove it with a bit of effort and friction with the Q-tips. Mine looks brand new and in fact better than new. Good luck to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjbaker84

Latest posts