Steering Tightness / Wind Drift on Highway Suburban 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

at100plus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just sold my 2002 Z71 Tahoe and bought a 2004 Suburban 2500.

With the Tahoe I hated the loose feel of the steering. I replaced ball joints, idler and pittman, had Billsteins, ran the tire PSI to 44 psi (which was max, I found that keeping the tires harder helped) and had the EVO delete done. I also put a BDS steering stablizer on. After all that it seemed pretty good but still had issue with the wind blowing it and if you look away such as to adjust the radio or something you'd be out of the lane in a split second. I hate that.

So now I have a 2004 Suburban 2500. When I was shopping I was particularly looking for one well maintained with solid front end and tight steering feel. This one does however I guess it wasn't windy the day I test drove it and brought it home. A week later and the damn wind blows this thing around too. I noticed also if a big van or truck passes me fast that pushes me too.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I just put new 275/75/16 Good Year Duratrac M&S tires on (they look awesome) and I'm aired up to 70 PSI on all four (max is 80 psi). Everything in front end feels tight.

Last edited:

deepend

Reaction score

With the Tahoe I hated the loose feel of the steering. I replaced ball joints, idler and pittman, had Billsteins, ran the tire PSI to 44 psi (which was max, I found that keeping the tires harder helped) and had the EVO delete done. I also put a BDS steering stablizer on. After all that it seemed pretty good but still had issue with the wind blowing it and if you look away such as to adjust the radio or something you'd be out of the lane in a split second. I hate that.

So now I have a 2004 Suburban 2500. When I was shopping I was particularly looking for one well maintained with solid front end and tight steering feel. This one does however I guess it wasn't windy the day I test drove it and brought it home. A week later and the damn wind blows this thing around too. I noticed also if a big van or truck passes me fast that pushes me too.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I just put new 275/75/16 Good Year Duratrac M&S tires on (they look awesome) and I'm aired up to 70 PSI on all four (max is 80 psi). Everything in front end feels tight.

Honestly i have also had this problem even after lowering it. Do urself a favor and check the torx set screw underneeth the plastic cover over the hazard light switch. I found mine to be loose even though the factory puts a dent on the side of the set screw so it wont back out.....well, it did back out causing the steering to feel wobbly. This mite not be ur problem but its worth a try. Its pretty easy. The set screw holds the steering wheel inplace with the steering colum/shaft. Hit me up if you cant find it.

OP
OP
A

at100plus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have a wobbly feel everything feels tight. I just hate when I look away from the road for a second for example to change the stereo and I'm out of my lane. Seems worse on windy days. I had the same problem in the 2002 and 2004 Z71 Tahoes that I owned I did the EVO delete and a bunch of other stuff but never got rid of that wind veer. I plan to keep this Suburban a while so I'd love to get rid of that right away.

deepend

Reaction score
I don't have a wobbly feel everything feels tight. I just hate when I look away from the road for a second for example to change the stereo and I'm out of my lane. Seems worse on windy days. I had the same problem in the 2002 and 2004 Z71 Tahoes that I owned I did the EVO delete and a bunch of other stuff but never got rid of that wind veer. I plan to keep this Suburban a while so I'd love to get rid of that right away.
Where is this EVO i hear about. I cant find it on my tahoe? Maybe u need to slam yours to get it closer to the ground....idk.

OP
OP
A

at100plus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
EVO sensor is on the steering column under the dash in 1500 models. I never looked but I don't think the 2500 has that and I'm 43 I would never slam a perfectly good 4x4 makes no sense to me call me old. I want to go UP not down.

deepend

Reaction score
EVO sensor is on the steering column under the dash in 1500 models. I never looked but I don't think the 2500 has that and I'm 43 I would never slam a perfectly good 4x4 makes no sense to me call me old. I want to go UP not down.
Lol. You aint old!! What does the EVO do? And what happens when u delete it?

OP
OP
A

at100plus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The way I understand it is its a speed sensor on the column that controls the variable assist (faster you go the less power steering assist) These trucks always seem to be too easy to steer. There's also an orfice that can be reudeced in size but I don't know exactly where that is my mechanic did the work. Both gave me assist marginal improvement on my Z71 Tahoe.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never heard of that mod, but i too, suffer from windy days, my ***** all over the roads, im constanly fighting side winds and staying in my lane. i replaced sway bar, end links, inner and outer tie rod, and it still didnt help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo