Steering hard to turn right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erikrichard

Reaction score
I have no power steering at idle turning right, left is fine. I read the bulletin wherin Chevy says this is a normal characteristic of our vehicles, which I find ridiculous and unnacceptable. Is there a fix for this? I've read some have replaced the steering gear box with success, and others saying this didn't help. Any insight please?

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happen to me long time ago...changed the steering box and everything was good after....

Also check steering pump before changing anything...

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
Mac, did you use a GM steering box or cheaper aftermarket? did you do the job yourself, if so how difficult was it?

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mac, did you use a GM steering box or cheaper aftermarket? did you do the job yourself, if so how difficult was it?

Erik - My brother had the same issue. He even changed the power steering pump first because he listened to some idiots. Anyway i found this online company and they were good. Price was fair, quick shipping and sent me a return label to mail back the core.

Tell them vinnies garage in ossining new york recommended them. That's a name i call my home garage and when i was talking to the guy on the phone he gave me a extra discount when i said im calling from a garage, HAHA. Anything to save some money.

Good luck.

http://www.carsteering.com/

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing i'm telling you is this...............................the knuckle that connects to the steering box i think its called the pitman arm needs to be taken off using a puller. I had a few pullers and nothing worked. I ended up living the arm and disconnecting the ball joint that connects to the pitman arm. Then when i was on the bench i was able to get the air gun and work at it.

ALSO do not turn the steering wheel when you remove the shaft from the box. If you have steering wheel controls you will bust the wires in the steering wheel that will not make the controls work anymore. Do a search on google and on this forum you will come across a lot of great info.

Good luck!!

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALSO do not turn the steering wheel when you remove the shaft from the box. If you have steering wheel controls you will bust the wires in the steering wheel that will not make the controls work anymore. Do a search on google and on this forum you will come across a lot of great info.

Good luck!!

If you have stability control this is also important as there is a wheel position sensor in your column that reads the wheel position as part of its decision making on stability actions.

I don't know if regular scanners can read this but I have a Tech II and can access the info through there. The wheel position is read in degrees so it doesn't take much to have the sensor in the wrong position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts