Static and popping from speaker.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just recently started to have static and popping out of my back left speaker. It does it when the sound is on and also when it is down to zero volume. Sometimes it’s worse than others. Does anyone have any ideas on a fix for it? I have a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS head unit with the PAC RP5-GM11 Wiring Interface.

I’m not sure how to add the video to show some of what it’s doing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little more information is I’ve had this installed for about a year and it just now has started with the noise.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little more information is I’ve had this installed for about a year and it just now has started with the noise.
well I would check the suspect speaker first since that's probably the easiest, pull the door panel off and check the wires, maybe hook up a different test speaker to see if it does the same thing

01DenaliHiker

Reaction score
Check for rust on the wires. My speakers whined like crazy until I did the big 3, ran dual batteries, and fixed the hack job of wiring mess under the carpet the previous owner ran. Whine went away and I had steady static in the passenger front door speaker. Turned out to be a combination of not wiring correctly (via previous owner) and rust buildup on the connections of the speaker causing my grief. All good now though!

Rust is definitely something to check for, especially on the door speakers. I don't know how carrying temperatures are in your area, but that'll always leave some fun behind after a while.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be a bad ground. Was there any other (electrical) modifications done recently (as in few months or thousand miles)?

OP
OP
T

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on looking at that speaker today if all works out to check rust and the connections.

Nothing new has been done recently.

I have noticed sometimes that when I have been sitting there waiting in the Yukon with the key out and everything off that sometimes the info display will start scrolling from odometer, to hour meter, to something else with letters and numbers. I read somewhere that it could be a loose solder joint in the cluster though.

4129dccd759ab575119e94aa5b9a7458.jpg

OP
OP
T

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the speaker out and looked at the connection and all looked good. I turned on the radio without the speaker connected and I heard the loud static. I’m not sure where it was coming from.

I don’t know if I just didn’t hear the others as much or what but it seems as though that one has more static but maybe all of them do it. I could hear it on passenger front just slightly with my ear up to the speaker. So I have to do some more digging to see what I find.

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is going to sound crazy... But check your battery connections. See if they are corroded. Also check any grounds you have for corrosion. This sounds like an electrical issue playing itself out through your stereo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne