Speedo sticking this morning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vjr021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange... This was the first AM it was cold since I bought her...

Drove down the block, and the speedo didn't move. It bounced a little, like it wanted to.. I kept driving it and the odometer was working, but the speed would not register, it wanted to move, but it looked like it was stuck.

after a few minutes it loosened up, at first showing a grossly inaccurate reading then finally going normal.

years ago, there was a similar problem with other GM's when the grease in the cruise control would get too cold... Similar symptoms.

Anyone else have this problem?

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the speedometer on the chevelle stick at 120 but it works now idk maby you just need to drive faster

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
stepper motor, GM had a recall on these, and replaced all cluster issues up to 70K miles for free.

OP
OP
vjr021

vjr021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming mine was done, and it is broken again, how difficult is it to fix???

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
Take the guage cluster out, pull the assembly apart, desolder the old motor, solder the new motor and reassemble and reinstall (little more involved but you get the general idea)

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to make sure. in my old truck i had a gauge overlay kit. when it was really cold out it would stick. after the cab warmed up some it was fine. took a few minutes though. the symptoms sound exactly like mine did.

OP
OP
vjr021

vjr021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No overlay lit, completely stock... I'll plan on doing a stepper as soon as I have time... Should i order from dealer, or is eBay safe?

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ebay fine.

digital_dash_solutions is who I bought mine from, got 7 for $31 shipped, instead of only 6 for $35-$45. got em in 3 days or less too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19