specific Carplay issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Apple Carplay shows connected on my phone, pairs super easy, downloads contacts the whole deal. When I go to tap the icon on the screen it is blacked out. I go to screen - settings>connections>phones and find my iphone and my wife's Iphone. I click mine and it just circles forever and never connects. If I tap the blacked out Carplay icon on the main screen it just takes me to the settings>connections>phones and same result of circling for a minute and then not connecting. I have deleted everything and started over 3 times with same result.

I have a Iphone 13 max, works great no issues (did recently update to IOS 17.0.2). Wife has Iphone 14 max and connects to everything. Car is a week old and am pretty sure my Carplay connected when we bought it.

Bottom line: Apple Carplay wont connect to vehicle even though the phone shows connected in the bluetooth section of Iphone. Pairing process is well known to me and will go through it well. The car just doesnt seem to make the actual connection with the Iphone.

Any Iphone experts out there. The IOS 17 update seems like a good culprit.

OP
OP
tjs3922

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: If I USC cord it to the center USB outlet it works fine. (my Iphone will now show disconnected under Bluetooth)

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 21' so the infotainment is different, but the wireless CarPlay has always been super buggy with our iPhones. I just use the wired and all my issues went away.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an android. Kidding.

It's your phone. Maybe restart. Make sure the suv has your phone set as 'first to connect' that helps buggy phones connect quickly wirelessly

OP
OP
tjs3922

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately seems li ethe IOS 17 update. I can connect via cord which I use most of the time anyways. Will just wait for the bugs to be worked out from IOS updates.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: If I USC cord it to the center USB outlet it works fine. (my Iphone will now show disconnected under Bluetooth)
NEVER do a major upgrade on the iPhone or anything else for that matter until that upgrade has been out for at least 3 months. Shockingly, General Motors is discontinuing Apple CarPlay, so their interest right now will be low. Motor Trend magazine says 87% of car buyers won't even CONSIDER a vehicle without Apple CarPlay.

I agree, iOS 17 is likely the problem. I would recommend you go to Apple Discussions. Sometimes you have to wait a day or two and ask your question again. They are very active there, and very helpful.

When it comes time to buy your next vehicle, Apple's website will give you a list of 900 makes and models of vehicles that are "safe to buy".

OP
OP
tjs3922

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am ok as I keep mine corded at all times in the compartment by my right leg in the center console.

I like my Yukons more than I like CarPlay but I am optimistic that all things will work out with some updates

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the latest ios17 on my iPhone and no issues with CarPlay in my ‘22

OP
OP
tjs3922

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be hit or miss. Reddit had a full page f folks that updated to IOS 17 and lost their connections from Subarus to Hnda to GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar