Spare Tire Fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nelgroe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All... new poster here, longtime lurker. I have 2000 NBS Tahoe and have wondered if the spare tire well will fit my slightly larger tires. I have Cragar D window steels 16 x 8 with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac size LT 265 75 16. The spare is a 245 75 16 Goodyear street tire on cheap stock ugly aluminum wheel. I know, not much difference in overall height, but with the bigger knobbies, I just didn't know and want to have 5 matching. I swapped out the spare and put one of the Cragar/Duratrac up in the well and it fits in stock fashion. Luckily, I have an upgraded hoist without the secondary lock thing and it is easy to get up and down. It is barely a 31" if it is at all, however it does weigh more, I just hope the hoist cable is strong enough for the matching heavier wheel tire combo. I have to imagine it is being they have steel wheels and LT tires on other models and I doubt they made different hoists. The fit is tight at the front, nearest the crossmember, but does indeed clear...So, 33s and up will probably not fit in any way...I know peeps always wonder how big they can get back there, hopefully this helps someone...Thanks

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My spare is a 265/75/16 so I will go out on a limb and say it should fit fine.

One word of caution, if you haven't lowered your spare, make sure the "secondary latch" works. Or better yet, replace it with one that doesn't have the "secondary latch." The secondary latch is a nightmare and very much prone to seizing up and when (not if) it does, the only way to get your spare off is by grinding off the "bell" that holds the spare in place. It's a hideous, awful and stupid idea (basically it is a solution to a non-existent "problem.")

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I order the better replacement part?

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you kindly! I just bought an 04 tahoe and the spare tire was secured in the back of the truck.

You can guess why

Well, consider yourself lucky then. When I found out my secondary latch was frozen so solid that had to use an angle grinder to get my spare tire free on a sunny afternoon in my driveway, it made me shudder to think that I could have made that "discovery" in the middle of a rainy night hundreds of miles from home with a flat tire and no way to change it.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the nnbs. I wonder if the nbs and nnbs spare tire holders/assemblies are interchangeable. I know you can't use one from a Silverado.

If you look at that EBay listing it shows that part fits Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon all the way back to the GMT800 years. It certainly looks like the one I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk