Sorting Out Previous Owner's HID Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my Yukon one of the previous owners had upgraded the low beams to HID bulbs. They are very bright and a sharp white/blue in color. It's been on my to-do list to swap out the bulbs for something a little warmer. This afternoon I pulled out both headlight assemblies to see what had been installed and try and figure out if I could find replacement HID bulbs to fit what had been installed.

The HID ballast on the drivers side was loose and just tucked down into the void between the headlight mount and the battery. In pulling it out to get a look at it I also pulled out two plugs and one ground wire loop that were not connected to anything. I've attached a photo showing what I pulled out hoping someone can let me know what they are/were supposed to be connected to.

The ballast on the passenger's side was originally mounted with a single screw to the side of the grill, but the mount point on the ballast failed. Looking around there don't seem to be any unconnected wires like there were on the driver's side.

The two ballasts are different and the driver's side looks older with a replacement installed in the passenger's side. That may explain why it takes about a second or two longer to power up. Both bulbs were 9006 sized 8000k bulbs.

If this was your vehicle would you swap them out before they fail or just secure them a little better when I put it all back together and use them as-is with new 4300k bulbs.

2017-01-11 16.45.54.jpgMale plug w/ red & black wire | Female plug w/ white & black wire | Loose ground loop

2017-01-11 16.42.26.jpg
Driver's Side HID Ballast

2017-01-11 16.59.01.jpg
Passenger's Side HID Ballast

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just replace them, they look pretty old. You can usually get a good deal on a complete setup with bulbs and ballasts.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I would get a whole new kit. Newer and slimmer design. Keep those around for back ups.
Or since they still work new bulbs would be fine too.
But you can buy a new kit for $60, since you plan on getting new bulbs anyway.

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards just starting fresh, and didn't realize that HID kits were so inexpensive. A new pair are on their way will go in on Friday with new 4300k bulbs.

Any thoughts on what the mystery pigtails were for behind the driver's headlight?

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I wouldn't unless I was there to follow them. The older ballasts had to be hard wired in maybe that's what's going on here.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Def keep the old ballasts just in case one goes out. You can use it while you wait for another to arrive.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loose ps pigtail is probably the oem bulb harness, which is not needed since the ps ballast is connected to the ds ballast.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loose ps pigtail is probably the oem bulb harness, which is not needed since the ps ballast is connected to the ds ballast

As far as I can tell, the OE low beam bulb harness for both the DS and PS connect to their respective ballasts and the ballasts are not interconnected. It seems like all the lighting is working, so my plan is to clean them up, weather proof them, and put them back where I found them when I install the new bulbs and ballasts this weekend. If in the future I figure out something else I missed is not working I'll know where to look first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia