so what is the skid plate for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the plastic skid plate put there to catch oil and make a mess when doing a oil change....lol. i'm going to trim the back 2 inches off of it before i put it back on.

but really do they even do anything? they're plastic!

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the skid plate was metal and was to help protect your underside. For example so a rock doesn't hit your oil pan while off-roading.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Mine doesn't collect oil, and it works well for preventing undrcarriage damage ad well as a solid location for mounting my fog lght ballasts.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a z71 or 4wd with skid plate package it comes with a aluminum one under the transfer case. All of them come with the plastic one and I'm not completely sure of the point of it. I have cracked mine on both my 02 z71 and 05 Yukon and I have no clue how I did it on the Yukon.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
Might help with air flow to help cool the oil pan...hey...I'm really reaching for straws here!

OP
OP
YNOT

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm going to put it back on, i'll just trim that back 1" or 2" off, because the rear corner is cracked off from the previous owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts