So this happened...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gagcon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have tried to use the ACC on my 2022 Tahoe Z71, but even in the longest distance setting, I have yet to feel that is working. I have had to hit the brakes each time I have tried it for fear of rear-ending the car in front. I have ACC in my 2020 Acura MDX, so I know how it is supposed to work. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried to use the ACC on my 2022 Tahoe Z71, but even in the longest distance setting, I have yet to feel that is working. I have had to hit the brakes each time I have tried it for fear of rear-ending the car in front. I have ACC in my 2020 Acura MDX, so I know how it is supposed to work. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.
They don’t offer ACC in the Z71 - only premier and high country’s on Chevys and Denalis on the GMC side (and it is still optional on those trims). You might be adjusting the following distance indicator but that just sets the distance before you get collision alerts.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ceramic total went a bit higher due to the paint prep for all of the fisheye's in the hood. The 2022 was delivered covered to my door, went around the block and then went into the garage until I could get the PPF done. It's winter time here in the Pacific Northwest and all kinds of bad stuff is flying down the road hitting cars.

My detailer came to the house to prep the nose for the PPF. He was really surprised how good the overall paint was, expected to do some cut and polish work. The issue which is terrifying under fluorescent lights was the number of fisheye's in the hood, it was bad. I stopped listening to him count them once he hit 6 and I went to throw up (kidding). There were 3 others on side panels that he addressed later. Some he just heated the paint up with a buffer to soften them up and a few were carefully color sanded.

Parked directly next to it was the 2021 Yukon and it's paint was near perfect. If the 2021 had the new center instrument cluster, air suspension and max trailer tow I would have kept it over the 2022 because of the paint. It isn't bad enough to have the hood painted and that would open up a whole can of worms that are just not worth it. Detailer did a good job and with PPF on the hood they disappear so I'm fine.

Once he was done polishing the nose it went the next day to the film guy for the xpel PPF and tint. We did a lot of PFF: front bumper, front facia, full hood, full fenders, headlights, fog lights, mirrors, door cups, door edges, lower door rockers under body trim, body color painted interior door sills (important), very thin door edge guards, and we put a thin door edge guard along the top edge of the rear bumper so my dog doesn't mess it up.

All of that using a premium xpel product was about $2,200.

For tint we darkened the rear windows a little to better reject heat (we get really hot here in summer), then matched the fronts with I think 15%, also put 20% on the panoramic sunroof. All windows were just over $1,000 for an xpel tint product. I had the tint guy lightly smoke the yellow marker lenses on the front fenders, they are still functional but look so much better during the day.

After two days of PPF and tint the Yukon went to my detailer's shop where he prepped the rest of the paint, wheels, and the xpel PPF for ceramic. He spent two days on it and it turned out gorgeously. Parked next to the 2021 Yukon this ceramic coat on the 2022 just makes it glow. The ceramic prep and coating was $1,200 plus another $200 for a few hours of work on the fisheye's which included a house call.

We had my wife's current Range Rover ceramic coated when she got it two years ago, it still feels like it was just waxed. When it is really dirty and hit with water the grime just falls off.

Note in the pic the smoked side marker light.

View attachment 359231
Wow nice ride, I wish I woulda had my tint guy do that to my Tahoe’s side markers, might do that in the future

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My acc on 2021 premier works great, almost too good cuz it will slam the breaks if someone in front of you begins to slow and turn right and u try to pass on left. Kinda freaks you out lol

badreau

Reaction score
-Reports of 2022's with dirt in paint unfortunately proved true with mine. My detailer spent some time on fisheye's on the hood and a few in side panels before the nose was wrapped in PPF and then ceramic on the whole rig.

Parked directly next to it was the 2021 Yukon and it's paint was near perfect. If the 2021 had the new center instrument cluster, air suspension and max trailer tow I would have kept it over the 2022 because of the paint. It isn't bad enough to have the hood painted and that would open up a whole can of worms that are just not worth it. Detailer did a good job and with PPF on the hood they disappear so I'm fine.
Hi @509Yukon, hoping to get your input.
I noticed some paint bumps on the hood of my Black 2022 Tahoe (presumably dirt/contaminants under the paint). I wasn't aware it was a common problem until seeing this post. My dealer is telling me its a defect they can correct under warranty, and is offering to repaint the hood. You allude that there may be consequences to doing so, curious what your thoughts are? I have 5 spots on the hood, one is fairly noticeable in good light, the others only when the light hits it just right and its clean. Its not a huuuuge deal, but something just rubs me wrong about paying this kind of money for a vehicle and getting something less than perfect.

OP
OP

509Yukon

Reaction score
I noticed some paint bumps on the hood of my Black 2022 Tahoe (presumably dirt/contaminants under the paint). I wasn't aware it was a common problem until seeing this post. My dealer is telling me its a defect they can correct under warranty, and is offering to repaint the hood. You allude that there may be consequences to doing so, curious what your thoughts are? I have 5 spots on the hood, one is fairly noticeable in good light, the others only when the light hits it just right and its clean. Its not a huuuuge deal, but something just rubs me wrong about paying this kind of money for a vehicle and getting something less than perfect.
Does everyone see the imperfections every time they look at the hood or only you? While it makes me insane to have some imperfections on mine I know from my prior experiences, and from others, that in many cases the correction is worse than the defect.

I laugh when people say you will never get as good as a factory finish when in the same breath we are talking about dirt that shouldn't have been in the factory finish in the first place. But at least with that imperfect finish the total vehicle's hue, metallic flake, clear, etc. all match. Once you start painting full panels you are opening up yourself for mismatch. That is worse than a small dirt spec in my opinion. Sadly there are cars sold for a third the price that have far better paint but there are 100 of reasons why one of those cars didn't fit your needs.

Years ago I had a F-350 that had good paint except for one little dirt spect in the left front fender. I was told not to fix it, yet I couldn't live with it and had the fender painted...THREE times and it never matched correctly under different lighting. At night at a grocery story parking lot my white truck had a front fender that glowed red under their lights. I sold the truck within 6 months.

I know another guy who had a Porsche 911. One small area half the size of a pea the metallic flake was flipped the opposite way. We all told him not to paint it...he did and it was a disaster.

I'm happy with what were were able to polish out and then the Xpel paint protection film over the top helped it all disappear. I don't know that I'd let a dealership's in-house or warranty rate outside body shop touch my rig.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They don’t offer ACC in the Z71 - only premier and high country’s on Chevys and Denalis on the GMC side (and it is still optional on those trims). You might be adjusting the following distance indicator but that just sets the distance before you get collision alerts.

Yes this is accurate!

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to live with the imperfections I would at least get a quote from a reputable body shop and submit that to the selling dealer and see if maybe they will re-imburse you or at least give you that amount as a credit. It's a little different situation but we had the dealership scratch our '21 when it was there for service at 3K miles and I opted to get $750 out of them instead of have the fender repainted. The scratch is so tiny (minor scuff on the clearcoat only) nobody other than me will EVER be able to find it. I actually never would have noticed it had the dealer not owned up to dropping something on the fender.

You might as well at least try to get something out of them if you opt not to paint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd