Snow tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
so do they have studs or metal balls on the tires or is that old school? i live down south so i dont know crap about snow tires. only chains lol

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
Just on reputation alone.... Blizzaks steal the show. I've heard nothing but good things about 'em.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Just becareful IF

You have a 4wd and your mounting 2 tires...tread depths and tread design might EFF your t=case

If he mounts the new tires in the back, and only uses 2wd would it still be bad for the T-case?

HankHill

Reaction score
I've had good performace from Winterforces...and their predecessor, Winterfires. 12 years in the snow belt with a 2WD S10 driving 20+ miles to work....each way. For the price, I've got no complaints.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Just on reputation alone.... Blizzaks steal the show. I've heard nothing but good things about 'em.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

If he mounts the new tires in the back, and only uses 2wd would it still be bad for the T-case?

no but chances are in the snow he will use it so it may present a problem.

OP
OP
S

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use Pirelli Snowsport 210's?? I can grab a used (like new) set for my Acura for next to nothing.....just curious if any good??

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished a winter driver class for work and it was on a snow/ice course. The vehicles we drove for the class were the new Lexus SUV's and they all had the Blizzak tires. They are incredible and I'm definitely thinking about getting some the next time I need tires.

OP
OP
S

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished a winter driver class for work and it was on a snow/ice course. The vehicles we drove for the class were the new Lexus SUV's and they all had the Blizzak tires. They are incredible and I'm definitely thinking about getting some the next time I need tires.

The next time you need tires?? They are meant for the winter only, they DO NOT handle well in the dry or at high speeds. There really meant for wet/snow covered roads only. You need to put them with the first talk of flurries take em off in the spring, this way you have impeccable traction all winter and prolong the life of your all season tires buy using the winter tires for 4 months.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok good to know. Thanks! I'll definitely be getting some next winter with some smaller rims for the Esky.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
The next time you need tires?? They are meant for the winter only, they DO NOT handle well in the dry or at high speeds. There really meant for wet/snow covered roads only. You need to put them with the first talk of flurries take em off in the spring, this way you have impeccable traction all winter and prolong the life of your all season tires buy using the winter tires for 4 months.

well its not that they dont handle well at high speeds or dry roads. THey are actually decent tires, the problem is that what makes these tires work so well in the snow are the fact of the deep tread design and the fact that snow tires are soft and they stay pliable in cold weather. Everyone knows summer tires in snow are no bueno at all. They get stiff in cold weather is its like a sled riding on snow. If you were to keep these tires on all season, half way through the year they will be worn thin and wont give you any traction at all. The more the tread depth, the better they handle in snow.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Ah ok good to know. Thanks! I'll definitely be getting some next winter with some smaller rims for the Esky.

thats the best way to do it. Smaller the rim = more sidewall and will act better in the deep snow as supposed to bigger rim, smaller tire. I have 2 sets of wheel for 3 cars that have snow tires. It may be expensive at 1st but using 2 sets of tires half a year each will last you a long time in tires. Lets see i have a car that i bought new tires, winter and summer 3 years ago, each set measure at 8mm, new was about 10mm deep.

OP
OP
S

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its not that they dont handle well at high speeds or dry roads. THey are actually decent tires, the problem is that what makes these tires work so well in the snow are the fact of the deep tread design and the fact that snow tires are soft and they stay pliable in cold weather. Everyone knows summer tires in snow are no bueno at all. They get stiff in cold weather is its like a sled riding on snow. If you were to keep these tires on all season, half way through the year they will be worn thin and wont give you any traction at all. The more the tread depth, the better they handle in snow.

Maybe I could have worded it a little better but there is no way I would drive nearly as fast on the highway with snow tires as I do with my all seasons, the snows rubber is super soft and it actually feels like its disconnected with the road! Pretty darn scary imo! I just put Blizzaks on the Acura RL, got it up to 100 and I had to back off. Mind you a cruise to work half asleep in the morning with one eye closed at this speed with no issues with the all seasons. I know there are a few types of "snow tires" and I think if you buy a performance snow tire you would alleviate these issues but probably give up some deep snow traction. IDK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo