Snow tires or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twhitechurch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With winter soon approaching I began to give some thought to swapping the OEM rims for a set of the GM Steelies with snow tires. It would be like $900 for the full package. My truck is leased so the rims and tires would be done with in 3 years. However I do see the advantage of swapping the tires and putting some wear on the winter tires as opposed to going through the all season ones and being forced to buy new ones right before i return the truck.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would you put a new set of tires on a leased vehicle that your about to turn in
id just wait and see if they hold out til its time to turn it in

OP
OP
T

twhitechurch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just from past experience and the mileage I expect to put on the truck. Chances are I'm going to have to replace them in 2 years, so if I buy snow tires now I could avoid having to spend the extra money to replace the oem tires

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But your still buying a set of tires are you not? when you trade it in you might not even get another SUV to use them on.
I would wait unless you really feel the need to have snow tires. you can always find a set of used tires to put on for the trade in.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on what type of weather you expect to encounter. The reality is that this is a heavy vehicle and "all season" tires are really three season tires in places where it snows. There are a very few tires that will fit the bill but mostly a good set of winter tires are a must in winter conditions. Honestly, that $1000 in tires will look cheap if it prevents you from sliding off the road and causing tons of body damage.

I've got some studs for serious snow but I run Nokian Rotiivas year-round and they're severe service rated for snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269