SNKETR's 2013 Yukon XL Denali Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNKETR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After taking a day trip to the ranch with the wife, three of the five kids (newborn, 11 & 13 yr old), two dogs and a few rifles (confirming zero for deer season) in the wife's Explorer, I decided we need a bigger vehicle. I had stuff crammed everywhere and it wasn't even an overnight trip with luggage. My current daily is a 2008 GMC 2500HD and its great for towing my gooseneck and going to the ranch with less people/dogs. I spent about a week straight looking for XL Denalis and finally found one three hours away.

Its a 2013 with everything besides power running boards and factory trailer brake. Got it for $17300 after TTL (for people to reference prices) with 124,000 miles. It's ridiculously clean for having that high of mileage. I've been working on LS engine platforms since 2003 so I'm fairly experienced in them. Only thing I haven't really done is work on a short block. Head/cam/springs and all external components I pretty much already have tools for and have experience with. Also having the '08 2500HD, I'm familiar with a decent amount of the electrical & mechanical gremlins that the body might see. Not all, but a fair amount because the Denali definitely has more electronics.

I've got a list of things I plan to do long term with it. I'll be daily driving it till I'm done working out a vibration and redoing all the brakes on the 2500. Until then I'll only be doing small easy things.

Floor mats (five kids and two German Shedders)
Brake Controller
Replace all interior and bake/backup lights with LEDs
Aftermarket backup camera. The OEM one is significantly worse than the Camera Source i have on the 2500
1" front only level. I'll eventually be handing it over to the wife as a daily and don't need a larger lift/level
New wheels and tires. Thinking about some Fuel Hostage wheels. Sticking with 20s with a good AT tire. I'm currently running Wrangler Duratracs on the 2500 and I'm pretty happy with them so we'll see.

Few things I'm considering:
Black out grill remove emblem. Maybe Race Mesh or GrillCraft's.
Might swap the chrome door handles for color matched.
New taillight housings. I hate the OEM ones, considering G4s.

That's the short list for right now. If y'all have anymore suggestions on what to do let me know.

IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1083-1.jpg

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to get it turned, I highly recommend Blackbear. The 6.2 is great, but it's even better tuned. They also adjust the 6 speed so it actually uses all of the gears and isn't in a hurry to be in top gear. If you're going 40mph, it will not shift into 6th gear and lug about.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice, you should have virtually no Gremlins, I would inspect the suspension though the front shocks in the struts tend to be worn out by your mileage, you can save money by just buying the shock and re-use the spring, the rear airshock's and air pump should be inspected as well, you can reach underneath and squeeze the rear shock bellows and see if it is holding air, and then check them again the next morning before starting the truck they should still have air. These trucks do get finicky if there is any kind of battery or ground issue so if something electronic appears to go wacky check your battery and grounds first.

OP
OP
SNKETR

SNKETR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't forget to get it turned, I highly recommend Blackbear. The 6.2 is great, but it's even better tuned. They also adjust the 6 speed so it actually uses all of the gears and isn't in a hurry to be in top gear. If you're going 40mph, it will not shift into 6th gear and lug about.

Oh yea, that'll probably happen too. One of those things where "If I'm getting it tuned I might as well do AFM delete with a better cam/springs".

nice, you should have virtually no Gremlins, I would inspect the suspension though the front shocks in the struts tend to be worn out by your mileage, you can save money by just buying the shock and re-use the spring, the rear airshock's and air pump should be inspected as well, you can reach underneath and squeeze the rear shock bellows and see if it is holding air, and then check them again the next morning before starting the truck they should still have air. These trucks do get finicky if there is any kind of battery or ground issue so if something electronic appears to go wacky check your battery and grounds first.

Will do. Just did shocks on my 2500 with 155k miles and it made a huge change.

Yesterday my Husky liners arrived. I went with the X-ACT Contour on the front and 2nd row, and used the Weatherbeaters on the 3rd row and cargo area. I really wish Husky would make the X-ACT for the 3rd row and cargo area. I hate the look/feel of the more plastic-y Weatherbeaters. They feel like the weathertech fronts on my 2500. Both models fit fine and work with each other between the 2nd and 3rd row so that's good. The Weatherbeaters may need some warmer weather to soften up and settle a little bit, especially in the cargo area. I may take my heat gun to them. I'll probably but some X-ACTs for the 2500 as well. I prefer the feel/look of the material better even though they're a little lighter in color.

I wish i could get away with just carpet, but with five kids (including a newborn) and two German Shedders, there's no way not to have liners. The kids rarely ride in my truck so it's clean besides keeping up with the dog hair, but they're savages and trash their mom's Explorer. They've already been briefed on the rules of the Yukon. We'll see if it works.IMG_1084.jpgIMG_1085.jpgIMG_1086.jpgIMG_1087.jpg

Reaction score
I have basically the same vehicle, except a year older. I have the Weatherbeater floor liners front, 2nd, 3rd, and cargo. Those X-ACT contours on the 1st and 2nd rows look good. Are they more of a rubbery material than the Weatherbeaters?

OP
OP
SNKETR

SNKETR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have basically the same vehicle, except a year older. I have the Weatherbeater floor liners front, 2nd, 3rd, and cargo. Those X-ACT contours on the 1st and 2nd rows look good. Are they more of a rubbery material than the Weatherbeaters?

Yea, the X-ACT are rubber and the Weatherbeaters are plastic. The X-ACT and thicker, heavier and bend easier to fit the contour of the floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288