Smoke coming out of tailpipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemmissey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Escalade, with only 71k on her. My brother used it this past weekend, and noticed that smoke was coming out of the tailpipe when he floored it? Can it be the rings?.... I don't understand?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What color smoke? Why was your brother flooring it?

OP
OP
H

Hemmissey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke, he was going onto to freeway.. :-( the car was bought used in March.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much? Any fluids low?

OP
OP
H

Hemmissey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on vacation at the moment and will not return till the 18th. My bro just told me that the oil level is still good. Engine is the 6.2L btw.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
White smoke, he was going onto to freeway.. :-( the car was bought used in March.

check fluilds. often its hard to tell the color sometimes. Thin white smoke is steam and is normal. Heavy think smoke however is a sign of headgasket problems, but that tends to be whenever the car is running and not just under acceleration

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Escalade, with only 71k on her. My brother used it this past weekend, and noticed that smoke was coming out of the tailpipe when he floored it? Can it be the rings?.... I don't understand?

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Private message if I can be of any assistance.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Can he make a vid? Could be hg. Has it ever overheated?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say tell brother to park it and never drive it again.

ToddEdge

Reaction score
Like others said, it could be a head gasket failing. White smoke is often coolant burning in the combustion chamber. Check your coolant level. Also, one tell-tell sign is if you drain the oil, see if the oil comes out light brown and look for any signs of coolant.

Based on my experiences with building race motors, here is what I normally go with:

Blue smoke = oil burning
White smoke = coolant burning
Black smoke = rich condition - too much fuel

Hopefully this is steam from condensation from the previous night or something minor. These 6.2's are really solid.

Todd

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas