Small power, rear AC and center console mods to clean up my Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edgette

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just found this forum and thought I would post some of the mods that I would share my mods with the community. I'll go in order of what I've done.

I hate power cables sticking out of my 12v sources. My first mod was to clean up the clutter and make sure I always had my cables where I needed them but out of sight as much as possible.
- I removed the upper unit from the ceiling and tapped into the 12v source that powers the map lights and ran another 12v output for my GPS unit. I then ran that cable down through the front of the unit down by the rear view mirror. It's where it needs to be but very low profile.
- I wanted a phone charger on the top of my center console so I tapped into the passenger side power seat cable for a 12v source. The seat didn't have power running to it but the cable was still available to tap in to. I then ran a wire through the bottom of the center console and wired in my iphone charger. It sits under the folding part on the top when I don't need it and I can run it around the side to charge my phone when I need it. While I was there I added another 12v outlet to run my power inverter hidden under the cup holder and put a 110v outlet on the side of the console from the inverter. It doesn't get used much except to charge the passengers laptop on long trips.
- To add onto the center console mods I wanted a place to hold my Taurus 851 and my brothers glock 26. I bought both holsters pictured for $20. My holster was a very huge paddle holster that I hacked up. It worked perfectly since it has three allen screws that held the holster to the paddle. I removed the center console insert mocked up the screw holes and drilled them out to mount it. On the glock holster it was an inside the waste band type so it just has a metal clip. That one only took a slot with the dremel to make it mount. I also made two mag holders out of some cordura that I had lying around. To top it off I wired a momentary switch which is triggered by the lid. When it's closed the LED's are off, when open they light up. I had the LED's around for a long time that are a very tight beam (around 22* if I remember correctly). They give off less light than what I would like, so I will be adding some more custom work to the bottom of the insert.
- Within the last couple of days I wanted to hide a radar detector into the rear AC controls but that probably isn't going to happen soon. While I had it taken apart anyways I put in a jumper to make it constantly on rear control. I cut out a piece of 1/8" scrap acrylic and covered it with black vinyl then a silver vinyl bowtie. On top of that I put another 1/8" piece of acrylic that I laser etched into a clear piece of acrylic. I made templates from card stock to make sure they were a perfect fit. Both pieces are cut very tight to what the opening is so they are friction fit in and hold very well (hard to get out actually).

That's about it for now. Other interior mods will include LED's throughout (have some on the way) and maybe a few other minor mods.

center1e.jpg

center2.jpg

gps1.jpg

gps2q.jpg

gps3w.jpg

gps4.jpg

gps5d.jpg

invertr.jpg

ip1r.jpg

ip2i.jpg

(With the flash of the camera I realized how dirty it is under my passenger seat)
powerin.jpg

ac1xa.jpg

ac2w.jpg

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! And nice mods! I am always looking for new ways to make my hoe more useful too! I was actually planning a holster mod like yours that I was gonna do soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman