Slow automatic headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Hi,

When the switch is on the "automatic" position on the dashboard, It need a quarter miles to light up my headlights. That's so slow.....

Is there something wrong or is it the usual way of working for this stuff?

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK how they work, but the "auto" on the dash is just for exterior lighting vs manual op of the light knob.

I can't make rhyme or reason of the auto headlights, I think there is a sequence of things that satisfy an algorithm to make them start.

I rode for 20 minutes thru country working the high beam myself, and once I set the cruise, they seemed to start switching low to hi automatically. shut off to gas up, and they won't start switching low to hi again. I set the cruise, flashed low to high (pull stalk towards you) and quickly switched from low to hi. IDK.

when they do work, they work GREAT.....until they do decide to start working, it's just another stupid useless "feature" that doesn't work.

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Manual works fine. things are I go through 2 tunnels on my commute and I need them to swith from nothing to low fast. They need a quarter mile to go from nothing to low. The first tunnel is almost over when the light is on.
I need them to switch on in a sec or two like others cars do. ANy idsear or trick or hack will be appreciated.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize you're posting in the 2015+ section, correct? @Tom Joad I don't believe you have a 2015+ or did you buy a new vehicle? If you did then your headlights are probably supposed to work the way you want. However if you still have your NBS then no they weren't designed to turn on and off automatically when going through short tunnels, nor to switch between hi and lo beam by themselves. The NBS are designed to turn on automatically after a dark period which is longer than the built-in delay in the transition between the daytime and nighttime operation of the DRL's. I guess you'll just have to turn on your lights before you hit the first tunnel.

Sethro274

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like you are talking about the Intellibeam headlights for the 2016+ Yukon/Tahoe. They dip from high to low when they detect someone else heading in your direction (IE so you wont blind them), they do not have tunnel detection. Ambient light, like on highways in big cities or interstates can affect how they switch as well.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP has a 2003 Tahoe so I don't think he's talking about Intellibeam since it wasn't invented yet!

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Can someone move this post to the appropriate section ? (NBS)
If-as you said- my light are working properly, then Chevy shold avoid adding those kind of fake features to his SUVs, as it's totaly useless in real life driving.
I don't care about going from hi-to low. I'm smart enough to do it myself when driving. But the auto-headlight for tunnels (can be underground parking lot too) has not been designed correctly and is a useless feature on NBS Chevy.
In the user manual it's said that it have been designed so it won't turn on the lights with a delay, long enough not to be fooled by shadows of trees for exemple... ROTFL !

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone move this post to the appropriate section ? (NBS)
If-as you said- my light are working properly, then Chevy shold avoid adding those kind of fake features to his SUVs, as it's totaly useless in real life driving.
I don't care about going from hi-to low. I'm smart enough to do it myself when driving. But the auto-headlight for tunnels (can be underground parking lot too) has not been designed correctly and is a useless feature on NBS Chevy.
In the user manual it's said that it have been designed so it won't turn on the lights with a delay, long enough not to be fooled by shadows of trees for exemple... ROTFL !
It actually works quite well for what it was designed for, so people don't have to turn their lights on at night. It wasn't designed for short tunnels. Next thing you'll be complaining because the cruise control doesn't slow down when you get too close to a car in front of you. Maybe you should step up to a 2017!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
It actually works quite well for what it was designed for, so people don't have to turn their lights on at night. It wasn't designed for short tunnels.
Let me quote the user manual : "The system may also turn on your headlamps when driving through a parking garage, heavy overcast weather or a tunnel. This is normal."
What's not normal is the f... "delay" which is way to long.

Next thing you'll be complaining because the cruise control doesn't slow down when you get too close to a car in front of you. Maybe you should step up to a 2017!
Don't tell me what i'll have to complain about, ok ?
I'm not used to complain when there's no reason to complain. A CC is not an automatic driving system.
This NBS will be my first and last Chevy Tahoe. Modern SUV (and cars) are filled with electronic that is a PITA to maintain and repair.
It's already a PITA to obtain parts and liquids at reasonable price here. I don't wanna even know how much would cost me some '17 electronics parts. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemilioflores89

Latest posts