Sloppy/Loose Steering Fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skaffy03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank god for people that do these write ups. Saves me money and time!

The Hoe now drives very well, minus bad shocks. I no longer have to curse and hit my steering wheel when its windy lol

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

FlyboyTR

Reaction score
Mobile, AL (Dog River at the Steel Magnolia)
When I did the adjustment to the steering box on our 02 Yukon XL, I shot a little video showing the location of the steering box. I had noted repeated questions on various forums about exactly where it is located and what the adjuster looks like. I recommend you read everything in this thread before attempting to DIY.

This is a link to a YouTube video I made (also my YouTube channel is FlyboyTR). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR25oICpkmc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

FlyboyTR

Reaction score
Mobile, AL (Dog River at the Steel Magnolia)
When I did the original adjustment, I turned the adjusting screw 1/4 turn. After driving it for a few days, I went back in and tightened it another 1/8 turn (so, 3/8 total). I have reduced the play in the wheel by at least 75%. It is much better. I also adjusted the tie rods to set the steering wheel to center. During the last alignment they left it slightly cocked to the left; although, with as much slack as I had, I could easily see how that could happen.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this has got to be one of the best free mods. I did it just to see if I would notice and after a 1/4 turn of adjustment the steering tightened right up. great mod!

MinnYukon

Reaction score
I will be trying this on my 04 Yukon. The sloppy steering is driving me nuts.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this little asjustment should fix my steering 100 percent bucuase
my tahoe when i first got it it was in dire need of shocks and alignment
and the deep grooves in the road did the steering i was just along for the ride and the steering wheel was just somthing to hold on to
and even after an alignment and shocks its way way better but it still fights me a little to follow those grooves

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this adjustment. I only turned (clockwise) the hex screw maybe 1/8th turn.
I haven't tested it yet, but if still wandering, I'll give it another 1/16th turn and try again.

UPDATE: I had to turn the hex screw in (CW) another roughly 1/16th turn. Now I have steering goodness.
It does made a noticeable difference. I still have roughly +/- 1/4" of free movement in the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094