Slack in steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appalachian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great forum here, glad to have joined. I’ve done a search and found an old thread on my problem, but problem wasn’t solved in the 2013 thread. I have an 08 tahoe ls 4wd with 125k, purchased last year from a friend.
My steering has slack only at center. When running straight I have a little play from left to right. While turning there is no slack, it’s just an inch or so of play from side to side when going straight. I’ve owned an 07 yukon, 09 Escalade and 11 silverado and have never experienced this before.

bnjalal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check if your rack steering is shifting side to side while turning the steering wheel and the car is parked, if so either replace the whole rack steering assemble ($$$) or check this one out

https://shop.febest.eu/arm-bushing-for-steering-gear-kit-cdab-ck1-kit.html ebay or amazon have the same store as well

Before placing any orders have a search in the forums here for more experienced user inputs and solutions, this one worked for me because the bushings were dissolved in my case and it was relatively a cheaper alternate solution (im in the middle east) than the ones suggested on this site

Dont be surprised if you needed to replace those bushing mounts after a year

Good luck

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Tahoe Hybrid 4wd with 205k the large rubber bushing is really loose on mine allowing the rack to move up and down on the passenger side creating play and front tire wear. Dealership says the large rubber bushing is not listed and they cannot tell me if the one for the NonHybrid hydraulic steering rack will fit the Hybrid Electric steering rack or not. Apparently the bolt through set on the drivers side ARE the same.
Looking at the Febest site they say it WILL fit the Hybrid with electric steering rack? but also says to check with the dealership on the part number. Dealership cannot come up with a part number as it is not listed for the Hybrid. Would be really great if someone that has a NonHybrid regular hydraulic steering rack could take a caliper and get the exact OD of the passenger side rack body right at the rubber bushing area. I am going to measure mine tomorrow and post it. Raining and dark here tonight. As Arnold said "I will be back"
IMG_7610.jpg

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell a bushing kit. Let me see if I can find it. I have it but never installed it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk