Shocks and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cucv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My steering is shot or so it seems , the steering wheel is loose and has tons of play and over and under steer in it. I want to replace parts but im not sure whats bad, im having it checked on friday at a shop to see whats bad. (Ill replace the parts i can that are not alignment specific) If they say it just out of alignment ill have the shop do an alignment. I want to try the steering box tightening mod to see if that helps. But how do i tell if my shocks are bad? I hit a bump and it rattles and moves all over. My rear shocks are arnott replacement but i dont know if they are good either.

Help!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on it? Most likely your problem is one or any combination of ball joints, tie rods, pitman and idler arm, control arm bushings, gearbox or even the steering shaft or a wheel hub assembly. Doubt its your shocks causing the looseness.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Especially if the steering wheel is moving that’s dangerous. The noises are ball joints wheel bearing and could be your struts are loose at the top that’s an easy check. Alignment may be off but it’s probably due to the above mentioned parts. Get it repaired so it’s safe to drive.

OP
OP
Cucv

Cucv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many miles on it? Most likely your problem is one or any combination of ball joints, tie rods, pitman and idler arm, control arm bushings, gearbox or even the steering shaft or a wheel hub assembly. Doubt its your shocks causing the looseness.
149k miles. I agree I dont think the shocks are the cause either just rides like crap over bumps. But how do I tell if they are bad. Ill know more after the front end is looked at on friday. I plan to do new pads and rotors, new hubs and sway bar ends and mounts and tie rods all at once when I do my brakes.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop will let you know if the shocks are bad but otherwise look for leaks, rotted bushings or excessive rebound or truck sitting lower on one corner.

OP
OP
Cucv

Cucv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im at Les schwab and this is what they told me

Front end has been lowered a bit, camber is off, he cant find worn parts, but front shocks are ready to be replaced. Says the torsion bars might have been lowered

The tech said he might hear a front hub bearing and he did not feel the rear end shift and my track bar bushings look good, can the track bar look ok but still be bad?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did someone prior to you lower it? Heaven knows how many messed up jobs there are out there. Usually the tech finds all kinds of things to replace. Are you sure the tires are ok? Balanced? Camber can wear down the inside of it.

OP
OP
Cucv

Cucv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tires were rebalanced rotated and camber fixed, i did not lower it, i dont think its lowered. Tires had some wear on inside of tread. But it drives much better now.

OP
OP
Cucv

Cucv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Better yes, still a small amount of sway in the rear and im confused on shocks for the front, so many options. I need to look at my rpo to see which code i have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec