Shark fin antenna replaced diy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
finston

finston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it seems my compass now works. But gps still has red line. Maybe I need to drive in circles lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it seems my compass now works. But gps still has red line. Maybe I need to drive in circles lol.

It may come back online as the system continually tests to see if its working. It's possible that the coax has gotten corroded from water intrusion and that is what is causing the red light. Also make sure the part numbers and connections are the same. Do you have a bi-directional scan tool that can read BCM codes? GM's latest interface is the MDI 2 with GDS2 software which allows you to see everything going on electrically inside your vehicle.

OP
OP
finston

finston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It may come back online as the system continually tests to see if its working. It's possible that the coax has gotten corroded from water intrusion and that is what is causing the red light. Also make sure the part numbers and connections are the same. Do you have a bi-directional scan tool that can read BCM codes? GM's latest interface is the MDI 2 with GDS2 software which allows you to see everything going on electrically inside your vehicle.

I have an intune i3, but I'm not sure if that will read BCM codes. Regarding corrosion on the coax, I didn't see a whole lot of what looked like damage under there. But, who knows.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an intune i3, but I'm not sure if that will read BCM codes. Regarding corrosion on the coax, I didn't see a whole lot of what looked like damage under there. But, who knows.

My fin is leaking and has shorted the coax according to the trouble codes. Sometimes the red light is on, quite often right after start up but soon turns green. Even red, everything works. We'll soon replace the fin and then see if a new coax is needed or not. Not looking forward to pulling down the headliner!

OP
OP
finston

finston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My fin is leaking and has shorted the coax according to the trouble codes. Sometimes the red light is on, quite often right after start up but soon turns green. Even red, everything works. We'll soon replace the fin and then see if a new coax is needed or not. Not looking forward to pulling down the headliner!

It's not too bad, took about an hour, would have been a lot less had I found all my tools first. There's a pretty decent video on youtube to get you started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts