Service battery charging system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Let me preface this by saying that yes, i did in fact do a search here and on other chevy forums. As always, I get some of the symptoms but not all, so checking here to see if anyone has thoughts.

Wife calls from an hour away and says the truck died right when she pulled into her destination and this was on the readout(Title of the thread). After searching, I deduced it was either the battery, alternator, mega fuse, or a ground wire issue from the negative battery terminal. Since my Yukon was now in a parking lot of a college, it's not like I can do crazy work on it. headed to advanced and bought a new battery and alternator and headed her way.

Battery was reading about 10.5 volts when I arrived. I figured even if it was the alternator, I should be able to swap out the battery and get home since I was less than 60 miles. Swapped it out, truck started right up, and I headed home. Was watching the voltage gauge as even with the new battery it was only reading at around 12, or 1/4 on the gauge. Of course, as I was driving I was watching it slowly drain. Got literally within 2 miles of my house and hit the last red light before I got to my community and it was down to just above 9V and then died. son of a. Called a friend, had them bring a new battery so I could get my truck into my garage and that is where it sits. Considering it drained a new battery in about an hour, would you equate this to the alternator being shot? I have a new one sitting in the back of the truck, but didn't install as again, I was in a parking lot and "thought" I could get home on a new battery. $150 mistake unless this thing will recharge on a trickle. lol. Open to thoughts suggestions.

Thanks all

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alternator would be the next step. You can take the old one to be tested to make sure before installing the new one.

OP
OP
T

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 89. So, since I am solo with no wife for the next 5 days, I can't really remove this one and get it tested. forgive my ignorance, but is there a way to simply test it with a meter? I'd hate to install and not have it be the issue, but I'd hate even more to "try" to get a few miles down the road to advanced auto parts and have it tested only to be stranded again. lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, you can it should be giving 13v+ at minimum, however since your new battery died on the way home I would gamble that the alternator is indeed dead, your new dead battery should charge up just fine as well. your old battery can likely be charged also, in which case you can charge up both the old battery and the new one, install the new alternator install your old battery and return the new battery

lectric74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks 89. So, since I am solo with no wife for the next 5 days, I can't really remove this one and get it tested. forgive my ignorance, but is there a way to simply test it with a meter? I'd hate to install and not have it be the issue, but I'd hate even more to "try" to get a few miles down the road to advanced auto parts and have it tested only to be stranded again. lol

You can start the truck and test the voltage at the battery terminals, but based on what you experienced you are very likely to need an alternator as well, they tend to take each other out and a bad battery will kill an alternator in short order.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check and make sure the megafuse is not grounding out on the firewall stud first. If all is tight there then take the alternator to go get tested. Its a 10 minute job to remove.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Let me preface this by saying that yes, i did in fact do a search here and on other chevy forums. As always, I get some of the symptoms but not all, so checking here to see if anyone has thoughts.

Wife calls from an hour away and says the truck died right when she pulled into her destination and this was on the readout(Title of the thread). After searching, I deduced it was either the battery, alternator, mega fuse, or a ground wire issue from the negative battery terminal. Since my Yukon was now in a parking lot of a college, it's not like I can do crazy work on it. headed to advanced and bought a new battery and alternator and headed her way.

Battery was reading about 10.5 volts when I arrived. I figured even if it was the alternator, I should be able to swap out the battery and get home since I was less than 60 miles. Swapped it out, truck started right up, and I headed home. Was watching the voltage gauge as even with the new battery it was only reading at around 12, or 1/4 on the gauge. Of course, as I was driving I was watching it slowly drain. Got literally within 2 miles of my house and hit the last red light before I got to my community and it was down to just above 9V and then died. son of a. Called a friend, had them bring a new battery so I could get my truck into my garage and that is where it sits. Considering it drained a new battery in about an hour, would you equate this to the alternator being shot? I have a new one sitting in the back of the truck, but didn't install as again, I was in a parking lot and "thought" I could get home on a new battery. $150 mistake unless this thing will recharge on a trickle. lol. Open to thoughts suggestions.

Thanks all

Get an OE or ACDelco alternator. Check the date code on your old battery, if it's more than a few years old, keep the new one.

Learn about RVC and EPM to learn how the computer works with the alternator to extend battery life and efficiency.

OP
OP
T

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update. checked the mega fuse and it seemed to be fine and unharmed. Also checked the cables routing around the engine bay from the negative battery side. While dirty, they all seemed to be in good shape physically and making good contact. I immediately smelled burning electronics when opening the hood, and sure enough it was the alternator. We used to call it the "Smell of money" back in my Navy days when something fried. lol. Replaced the alternator and my truck started right up and voltage reading went to a bit above 14V. Let in run for about 5 minutes while cleaning up tools and stuff and it dropped to 14 and help stable. Will make a close to home trip here in a bit and make sure everything is good. Thanks all for the suggestions and responses.