Self Leveling rear shocks - questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttedeschi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the ZW7 code also I and had the nivomat self leveling rear shocks. I finally replaced them with bilsteins which also required the stiffer bilstein springs. I purchased the shocks and springs for less than the price of one nivomat.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Springs were bilstein 199021. Took a lot of research to find the right ones

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

ts0293

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
An update: after paying the dealer $1250 to replace the front autoride (Z55) shocks, I got a quote from a chain repair shop for $589 to replace the rears. When I went in, they had trouble figuring out what to order; I helped them figure it out and then got a work order to sign for $1200! Price for the shocks was $499 each. So, I left.

I ordered the part from Amazon (Monroe autoride rear strut - has both electric-controlled damping (the autoride function) as well as air connector for the auto-leveling function). Cost was $231.50 each. I paid another mechanic $220 for 2 hours labor to install.

I know the temptation is to convert away from autoride and I cannot say how well that works. I can say this: after replacing all four (and only after doing the rear ones) the truck drives like new! I remember when I bought the thing that the ride seemed like a much smaller vehicle -- because the damping function has the car competently under control and eliminates or significantly reduces body roll during turns. It was a lot of money, but compared to resuming car payments for a new truck, not so bad. Truck has 99,000 miles and I am sprucing it up to get at least 99,000 more. So far, the plan is working.

96Taho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The heavy duty bilstiens are a great shock for the hoes.....even at my local 4-wheel drives store the techs said alot of the other ones get alotta hype but the bilstiens are the best all around riding shock they have seen
obviously i'm referring to on road use.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMT800Lover