Sand dunes in a Tahoe... made for it or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awfiretto

Reaction score
My Dad says “Tahoe’s are for snow” and unless z71 not designed to off road.

Any truth to this? Are the hubs upgraded on the z71? Should I stay out of the sand in fear of breaking shi*?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Any truth to this? Are the hubs upgraded on the z71? Should I stay out of the sand in fear of breaking shi*?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bologna. The hubs are only different between 4x4 and 4x2.

Good tires, maybe air down a little, and hit the beach!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If your Tahoe is in good shape, it readily handle them. Are you talking about cruising a beach or going off road outside of Vegas?

Knuckleheads with street tires:

In 2WD:

GMT800 Avalanche:

GMT900 airborne Avalanche:

Michigan Sand Dunes Avalanche:

How to drive in sand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIyCjeftp58

I've had mine on the beach, out in the mud and we've had her swimming too. Great off-road truck!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z71 is more of an appearance package than anything else. Yeah, you might get a little different suspension calibration, and maybe a skidplate, but no difference in capability between a z71 and other trim levels.

OP
OP
Awfiretto

Awfiretto

Reaction score
Thought so, the suspension is stock. LT 2007. 117k on it. Good A/T tires on it.

Seems to be in great shape. Just the 4wd actuator failing on me the other day... that’s fixed though.

I feel like I get more shudders over bumps now, perhaps I damaged the passenger side stock motor mount when I got stuck the other day (when 4wd actuator broke leaving me with 2wd) Drivers side is H3 Mount. Subtle shake/shudder feels similar to before I replaced the motor mounts the first time. But it could be in my head. Tested the reverse brake + throttle same time and no clunk and seems fine, but if I ripped the mount and lost the fluid that could explain the extra vibration over little bumps. I in no way want to replace that passenger side mount though .

Difficult to find YouTube of non z71 off road, (there’s one from Russia ). No doubt it’s a capable truck. Just how durable is it when pushed to its limit occasionally.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought so, the suspension is stock. LT 2007. 117k on it. Good A/T tires on it.

Seems to be in great shape. Just the 4wd actuator failing on me the other day... that’s fixed though.

I feel like I get more shudders over bumps now, perhaps I damaged the passenger side stock motor mount when I got stuck the other day (when 4wd actuator broke leaving me with 2wd) Drivers side is H3 Mount. Subtle shake/shudder feels similar to before I replaced the motor mounts the first time. But it could be in my head. Tested the reverse brake + throttle same time and no clunk and seems fine, but if I ripped the mount and lost the fluid that could explain the extra vibration over little bumps. I in no way want to replace that passenger side mount though .

Difficult to find YouTube of non z71 off road, (there’s one from Russia ). No doubt it’s a capable truck. Just how durable is it when pushed to its limit occasionally.

That's why I search for Avalanches in those videos. Those guys take them off road far more often and film it than the other models. Capabilities seem greatly increased with a 3-6" lift and 33-35" tires though. While we've had some close calls, we haven't gotten stuck yet in anything, just powers right out of it. KO2s saved the day more than once, as did 4LO once! Stock stance and stock tire size on ours.

OP
OP
Awfiretto

Awfiretto

Reaction score
Nice! Yeah I was extremely puzzled when I was dead in the sand... until I realized 4wd was working .

Stuck my phone down the passenger side of the engine bay... sure enough some cracks at the top of the motor mount... just went on rockauto and repeated my order for the H3 mount.

The tiny shudders at highway speeds drive me nuts. I’ll have no worries after this one is in.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Mine does fine in sand and other off road trails. I have run in trails like the Rubicon and a lot of trails in Moab and the surrounding areas. Right now I am in Az no problem in the sand here. I am running 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons