Safe to drive with shot Z55 compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to me 08, had it for 2 weeks now.
Drives great, but i noticed it’s quite rough on some bumps.

Checked RPO and it has Z55, but I don’t hear compressor running when i start the car.
Figured something is shot and i will start the investigation shortly.

Meanwhile, is it safe to drive with air compressor shot?
Truck seems to sit level fine, didn’t notice any issues at all before i started looking at RPOs :shrug:
I remember on Mercedes ML once one of shocks or compressor went bad, it literally sat on the ground and was unsafe to drive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New to me 08, had it for 2 weeks now.
Drives great, but i noticed it’s quite rough on some bumps.

Checked RPO and it has Z55, but I don’t hear compressor running when i start the car.
Figured something is shot and i will start the investigation shortly.

Meanwhile, is it safe to drive with air compressor shot?
Truck seems to sit level fine, didn’t notice any issues at all before i started looking at RPOs :shrug:
I remember on Mercedes ML once one of shocks or compressor went bad, it literally sat on the ground and was unsafe to drive
you will want to do a little digging on here regarding what is proper operation and what is not.
if the pump is not running and shock bladders are shot then the pump is probably burnt out already
either way you are fine to drive until it is repaired it just will be a rougher ride in the meantime, you may also notice some excessive rear end sway depending on how you drive.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, it is safe to drive the truck without the compressor being active. I would remove the fuse to the compressor at this time.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others here and will add that if the compressor has been replaced with a Dorman part, it will not perform the self test routine at startup and remains silent. Best way to test is to put something heavy in the back like 2 people in the 3rd row and see if the compressor switches on.

And I also agree that it's safe to drive.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others here and will add that if the compressor has been replaced with a Dorman part, it will not perform the self test routine at startup and remains silent. Best way to test is to put something heavy in the back like 2 people in the 3rd row and see if the compressor switches on.

And I also agree that it's safe to drive.
my dorman compressor does the self test routine "routinely" including releasing air after shut off just like oem

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my dorman compressor does the self test routine "routinely" including releasing air after shut off just like oem
Nice. Mine does not, but it functions normally otherwise. I've read of others with the Dorman also not performing the self test. Perhaps they made a change to their design somewhere along the way. Mine in my '07 is about 2 years old.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Mine does not, but it functions normally otherwise. I've read of others with the Dorman also not performing the self test. Perhaps they made a change to their design somewhere along the way. Mine in my '07 is about 2 years old.
mine is pretty close to that age as well, if you go out and sit by the left rear wheel and autostart it, listen carefully...just before the pump goes on you should hear a woosh of air release and then the pump activates, it does this so there is less initial pressure on the air pump, then immediately after the pump stops you should hear another shorter woosh.
then after shutting off the engine AND if there is any load on the rear then if you sit and wait and listen there should be another woosh of air after several seconds and up to a minute later. If yours is not activating everytime it could be the relief valve is not 100%. Mine does all the above most of the time occasionally it may not I think it has to do with how much pressure is remaining overall in the shocks mine will typically run 18-25 psi. you can monitor it with the tech2 and you can command the relief valve or pump to operate as well for testing. you can also feel the shock by hand it should be slightly squishy by hand grip, if it is so firm you can barely squeeze it then it is holding to much air and the relief valve is not working properly.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine is pretty close to that age as well, if you go out and sit by the left rear wheel and autostart it, listen carefully...just before the pump goes on you should hear a woosh of air release and then the pump activates, it does this so there is less initial pressure on the air pump, then immediately after the pump stops you should hear another shorter woosh.
then after shutting off the engine AND if there is any load on the rear then if you sit and wait and listen there should be another woosh of air after several seconds and up to a minute later. If yours is not activating everytime it could be the relief valve is not 100%. Mine does all the above most of the time occasionally it may not I think it has to do with how much pressure is remaining overall in the shocks mine will typically run 18-25 psi. you can monitor it with the tech2 and you can command the relief valve or pump to operate as well for testing. you can also feel the shock by hand it should be slightly squishy by hand grip, if it is so firm you can barely squeeze it then it is holding to much air and the relief valve is not working properly.
Yes, I understand. It doesn't perform the self test, ever. But it engages when I hook up the camper and takes up the sag like it should. The bags aren't usually pressured up after sitting a few days. I can squeeze them easily, but still no self test.

Mine won't command to on with the Tech 2, but I can do it on my 2012 with the OEM pump. Given that others have experienced similar, I chalked it up to a design feature of the Dorman pump.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand. It doesn't perform the self test, ever. But it engages when I hook up the camper and takes up the sag like it should. The bags aren't usually pressured up after sitting a few days. I can squeeze them easily, but still no self test.

Mine won't command to on with the Tech 2, but I can do it on my 2012 with the OEM pump. Given that others have experienced similar, I chalked it up to a design feature of the Dorman pump.
did you do a relearn of the suspension setting after you replaced it with the dorman? if so and it won't turn on with the tech2 commanding it then I would suspect either the relay is funky or the pump is funky. you should be able to fully command the pump with the tech2 just like the 12.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you do a relearn of the suspension setting after you replaced it with the dorman? if so and it won't turn on with the tech2 commanding it then I would suspect either the relay is funky or the pump is funky. you should be able to fully command the pump with the tech2 just like the 12.
I did not because I didn't have a level place to do it. I did replace the air shocks at the same time though. Might be worth a try to do a relearn. I haven't sweated it because it's been working fine in every other way. Any downside that you can think of to it not running the self test every time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy