Running Board Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brother Bluto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having power running board issues. The passenger side motor is noticeably louder than the driver's side. I have tried to lube all hinge points, but it still goes part way up and retracts. Even if I push it up while it is power-retracting. Two questions:

1. Is there a way to manually retract the running boards?
2. If I do manage to get it to retract all the way up, is there a way to keep them up?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having power running board issues. The passenger side motor is noticeably louder than the driver's side. I have tried to lube all hinge points, but it still goes part way up and retracts. Even if I push it up while it is power-retracting. Two questions:

2. If I do manage to get it to retract all the way up, is there a way to keep them up?
No manual way that I know of, I open and close door as I’m spraying to make sure I get all points on the hinges, motor etc. They don’t like dirt, sand salt etc. I use a silicone spray every few weeks to keep mine going.
there are only a few bolts hold them on. You may want to pull them. They are prone to failure tho. Just because of their location.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pete gave you some good things to try to keep them running, but like he said, they are prone to have issues.

To answer your 2nd question, you should be able to disable them per the manual.
upload_2020-10-12_8-21-40.png

OP
OP
B

Brother Bluto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I managed to get it to stay up, and using the instructed method, disabled them. When I have more time, I will get back to getting it fixed. Until then, we have to climb in without a running board, like some sort of barbarian

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very curious if you were able to troubleshoot your passenger side running board. I am having similar issues with mine on my 2016 Yukon XL Denali. The motor sounds a little more "whiney" than that of the driver side. It will retract upon closing the door, but then will go down again after a few seconds and will either stay down or sometimes might come back up when I put the car in drive. Additionally, it kind of "clunks" (louder than the driver side) when it fully extends. My husband has taken it apart and "lubricated every moving piece" he could find and put it back together, but it still intermittently malfunctions. New motors look pretty pricey for these so if that's not the problem, I'd like to look at everything else first. Very interested to hear if others on this forum may have experienced similar issues, particularly if you've found a solution. I, too, am suffering the agony of climbing into the vehicle without a step ;-) Thanks!!

Oldewing

Reaction score
Put mine up on the lift and gave the pivot points a good clean then lube. No worries now. Hit them each month with either silicone or white lithium grease. When I got the truck, I thought they where over the top stupid, but I now love them.

Denise Kilgus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Put mine up on the lift and gave the pivot points a good clean then lube. No worries now. Hit them each month with either silicone or white lithium grease. When I got the truck, I thought they where over the top stupid, but I now love them.
What did you clean them with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n