Running a wire through the firewall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I posted last week in the "what did you do" thread, I put in the shelf for my 2nd battery. Already have the isolator and terminal fuse holders and just ordered fuses, and fuse block for accessories.

I'll be using the 2nd battery as a "house battery" primarily for my 12v refrigerator, but may also install the 2m HAM radio. Here's my question, though:

Once I run the wire from the power source (fuse block on 2nd battery), what is the best way to get that wire into the interior compartment under the dash? I know there is a wiring harness that is on the driver's side of the firewall, but are there any other good ways to push a wire through the firewall? I don't want to have to drill a hole (and see no reason why I should if there is some existing way to do this.)

I know this is primarily a "street" oriented board but I figure that a lot of you guys run big amps, speakers, lights, etc, and have probably had a similar dilemma where you need to run a power wire through the firewall.

I'm confident that once I get through the firewall, there are enough plastic panels throughout the interior that I can hide my wires by just running them underneath some of the interior trim pieces.

Thanks in advance and if you have pictures, I'd appreciate seeing what you did.

Xypher

I Like It Loud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you put it, where the harness goes through under the drivers side dash. I have a 4ga power wire that we managed to push through next to the main harness. I'm unaware if there are any other options besides drilling. Nothing you didn't already know, but just helping confirm it.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you put it, where the harness goes through under the drivers side dash. I have a 4ga power wire that we managed to push through next to the main harness. I'm unaware if there are any other options besides drilling. Nothing you didn't already know, but just helping confirm it.

I'm assuming you pushed it through by starting from the interior and pushing towards the engine compartment? I'm installing my 2nd battery and that's how I'm thinking of doing it.

Xypher

I Like It Loud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes we taped the wire to a long flat blade screwdriver and forced it through from the interior to the engine bay. Took a few minutes but it does fit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman