Running 20 inch wheels and tires...PSI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali and recently switched from the OEM 17 inch wheels and tires to 2024 GMC 20 inch wheels and tires...

When I ran the 17's I had tire PSI at 36 rather than the door placard recommendation of 30 PSI...now with the 20" wheels and tires I don't know the recommended PSI...

what are those of you running 20 inch wheels with the newer OEM 275/60R20 size running PSI-wise???

Bill

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to be sure, call the Customer Support line for your tire manufacturer and get transferred to their Technical Support group and ask them.

When I purchased my Michelin Defenders, I call Michelin Tech Support and asked them about their recommended tire pressure. They told me to use the tire pressure recommended by GM for my truck. So far, no tire wear issues.

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that no tire manufacturer is going to say different than what GM recommends (liability and all) but since I have different tires and wheels than were OEM I don't know what that recommended number by GM is...

I have seen the OEM optional 20" tire and wheel placard that recommended 32 PSI which feels far too low for my application...plus I have a slightly different size of 275/60/20 instead of the OEM optional 275/55/20...

Thanks for your input...

Bill

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali and recently switched from the OEM 17" wheels & tires to 2024 GMC 20" wheels & tires.
When I ran the 17" I used 36PSI, rather than the door placard recommendation of 30 PSI.
Now with the 20" wheels and tires I don't know the recommended PSI.
I agree that no tire manufacturer is going to say different than what GM recommends (liability and all),
but since I have different tires and wheels than OEM, I don't know what that recommended number by GM is.

I have seen the OEM optional 20" tire and wheel placard that recommended 32 PSI,
which feels far too low for my application ...
plus I have a slightly different size of 275/60R20 instead of the OEM optional 275/55R20 ...
Edited for clarification.
The suggestion GM provides differs between civilian, PPV, & SSV.
If I'm not mistaken, PPV / SSV Tahoes suggest 35 or 36PSI.

I use 255/70R18 on my Z71, with tires @ 40psi; no odd wear issues.

Normally, non-OE tires of closely similar size are designed for use with OE psi recommendations.
OE psi suggestion is a substitute for fine-tuning tire pressure to suit your preferences.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The newer AT4 trucks run that size tire on the front and the inflation sticker on the door says 32 psi. I'd start there, and for some reason if you feel it's too low for your application go to 34 or 35.

Most important thing is to get the largest/flattest contact patch. Years ago when trying to figure out the best tire pressure for a certain tire on a home built vehicle/hotrod, I remember chalking the tread of a tire and pulling forward and looking at the wear pattern of the chalk on the tire. I've also seen it done with a wet rag to make a slightly wet area on the tread and then drive forward and look at the wet pattern on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian

Latest posts