Rough Start 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone has ran into this before...
04 5.3 Vin Z
No issues ever with it before this morning, I hop in it to head to work and when I hit the key, it coughs, sputters like once, and dies.
So I try to start it again, same thing. Wont stay running at all and only seems to cough and sputter for a few seconds.
I just changed the fuel filter a few days ago and havent had this issue until today. Related maybe?
I could start to smell gas, so I got out and looked around and no leaks, opened the hood and no leaks, so I guess that would be from unburned fuel vapor coming out the exhaust.
Finally, after i tried again, it started to stumble and run, and then the idle picked up and it ran fine except for a small metallic clicking noise coming from, what I can tell by ear, the lower drivers side of engine but its hard to tell. I hopped in and headed to work with no issues and by the time I got there, no more ticking.
Never through a CEL.
I'm baffled. Any ideas? Thanks

RachelJWalker

Reaction score
I have a 2002 tahoe 5.3 and today I had the same thing happen began running rough and died try to start it acted like it wanted to this went on for about 3 minutes hen fired up and ran fine. Not a clue what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900