Rough idle is back with vengence

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your fuel pressure on low side at idle? Mine is around 40-45psi. Goes up to 60-80 depending on demand when driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hose is in the tank as part of the fuel pump assembly, symptom may show up as low fuel pressure, which goes up as you put a jerry can of fuel into the tank. But it is not conclusive, the fact it idles rough and smooths out when raising fuel level is conclusive

jwth

Reaction score
couple of things come to mind,,,
water in the fuel tank- not unknown
cracked fuel pick up on the pump inside the tank,

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idle pressure is at 39-70, it fluctuates quite a bit.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 23.08.08.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the WFH there is a lot less driving so hard for me to quantify the effect. Interesting observation from BlackBear folks, they see that my idle numbers in logs are rock stable, but the actual truck is shaking. Justin feels it is either injectors or a mechanical issue and not actual misfires. I am sure Justin knows his craft and saw 100s of 5.3s like mine. Problem is that I paid for a dealer to install brand new engine and transmission mounts, tech did the whole re-seating procedure, so mounts are likely to be properly installed.
Fuel pressure numbers I have posted above point to solid pressure numbers on both low and high. What I do not know on DI engines if pressure on idle should be ruler-flat stable or it can move up and down. This is a mystery. COVID situation brought us a recession and taking $12K loss on a vehicle is a plain wrong financial move, but dealers are clueless and not willing to do any work on the truck as it is "within spec". I now even question if engine is smoother on the full tank or this is my phantom wishful thinking.

The hose is in the tank as part of the fuel pump assembly, symptom may show up as low fuel pressure, which goes up as you put a jerry can of fuel into the tank. But it is not conclusive, the fact it idles rough and smooths out when raising fuel level is conclusive

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please kindly move this to the 2018+ Forum? I have mistakenly started here.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please kindly move this to the 2018+ Forum? I have mistakenly started here.
what is the IAT showing & MAF showing? does the temp match the air temp on a cold start?

Last edited:

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry dvzz if I offended you, go to your desired place.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense at all. My truck is 2018 5.3 that is why I thought it was misplaced. I always appreciate all the help from all of you, folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879