Rough Country Leveling Struts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these?
https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-struts-500030.html?find=2010-gmc-yukon-4wd-737387

I'm considering leveling the front of my Yukon. I don't do any off roading, just going for appearance while maintaining decent ride quality. I've looked at the spacers that go at the bottom of the shock. I also realize that at 110k, my struts will probably need replaced soon anyway.

Does it make sense to replace the factory height strut and add the spacer, or just buy the leveling strut? Do you think I'd see much ride difference between the two options?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-struts-500030.html?find=2010-gmc-yukon-4wd-737387

I'm considering leveling the front of my Yukon. I don't do any off roading, just going for appearance while maintaining decent ride quality. I've looked at the spacers that go at the bottom of the shock. I also realize that at 110k, my struts will probably need replaced soon anyway.

Does it make sense to replace the factory height strut and add the spacer, or just buy the leveling strut? Do you think I'd see much ride difference between the two options?
@2010gmcyukon At $320 for just the front struts seems expensive. A full set of Bilstein 5100s cost about that much but give you all 4 shocks and you could use the bilsteins to level the front of your truck. Rough country used to be a low quality brand but lately they have been releasing some really nice parts from what I can see.

I think you would be happy either way but no I wouldn't go with a stock strut and spacer just because with Rough Country or Bilstein strut you would get a lot more shock travel over the stock strut which will improve your ride quality, which should be everyones goal.

OP
OP
2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@2010gmcyukon At $320 for just the front struts seems expensive. A full set of Bilstein 5100s cost about that much but give you all 4 shocks and you could use the bilsteins to level the front of your truck. Rough country used to be a low quality brand but lately they have been releasing some really nice parts from what I can see.

I think you would be happy either way but no I wouldn't go with a stock strut and spacer just because with Rough Country or Bilstein strut you would get a lot more shock travel over the stock strut which will improve your ride quality, which should be everyones goal.

You're talking about these? So I understand correctly, installing these allows me to increase the height a bit while using the rest of my factory suspension? I agree this seems like a better option.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bilst...e-shock-absorber-24-245487/_/R-BBGL-24-245487

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From reading the reviews, there's no difference in the ride between the two and people do like the ride of the RC struts over the (worn) originals and some new others.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're talking about these? So I understand correctly, installing these allows me to increase the height a bit while using the rest of my factory suspension? I agree this seems like a better option.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bilst...e-shock-absorber-24-245487/_/R-BBGL-24-245487
@2010gmcyukon Yes, the front struts have an adjustable spring perch to let the front sit higher to level it out. The bilsteins do not come with springs so you will need to take your spring off your factory strut and put it on the bilstein strut, not that big of a deal.

With the bilsteins you won't have to make any modifications to use them they just drop in once you have the spring installed. Here is the set I bought, looks like they are $450 which is more than I had said earlier. https://www.amazon.com/BILSTEIN-AVA...ds=chevy+tahoe+bilstein&qid=1598977033&sr=8-7

OP
OP
2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@2010gmcyukon Yes, the front struts have an adjustable spring perch to let the front sit higher to level it out. The bilsteins do not come with springs so you will need to take your spring off your factory strut and put it on the bilstein strut, not that big of a deal.

With the bilsteins you won't have to make any modifications to use them they just drop in once you have the spring installed. Here is the set I bought, looks like they are $450 which is more than I had said earlier. https://www.amazon.com/BILSTEIN-AVA...ds=chevy+tahoe+bilstein&qid=1598977033&sr=8-7
Cool, thank you!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do. It may be a while as I need to convince my wife I need new struts.
Jack it up when you get home, make sure she sees you doing it but don’t talk to her yet, shake your head a few times and shake the front wheels around a little bit then get under and let out a few choice words, let it down then go inside and wash up. Act like your pissed and wait for her to ask what’s wrong..... then calmly and quietly say the front end is making noise and you think a strut is shot but not sure which side..... you need to check it again in a few days.... but if it is you need to do both since you can’t do just 1 side and while you’re at you may as well do the rears shocks because if the fronts are bad the rear is going to follow soon...

:shrug:

OP
OP
2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack it up when you get home, make sure she sees you doing it but don’t talk to her yet, shake your head a few times and shake the front wheels around a little bit then get under and let out a few choice words, let it down then go inside and wash up. Act like your pissed and wait for her to ask what’s wrong..... then calmly and quietly say the front end is making noise and you think a strut is shot but not sure which side..... you need to check it again in a few days.... but if it is you need to do both since you can’t do just 1 side and while you’re at you may as well do the rears shocks because if the fronts are bad the rear is going to follow soon...

:shrug:
Yeah that's pretty much the plan...but I can't do it right after I talked about lifting it. She'll make that connection right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs