Road Trip NY to Florida/KeyWest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam123

Reaction score
We did tampa-NYC in our Suburban but did the Orlando-DC leg on the Auto Train. Didn't want to deal with I95 traffic and tolls lol. But love all the black details on your XL!

OP
OP
AngelXL

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did tampa-NYC in our Suburban but did the Orlando-DC leg on the Auto Train. Didn't want to deal with I95 traffic and tolls lol. But love all the black details on your XL!
We were 8 coming down but all them went back except for my Jr. So I am taking the Auto train back on Wednesday. Relax with him and just drive 6 hours from Virginia.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were 8 coming down but all them went back except for my Jr. So I am taking the Auto train back on Wednesday. Relax with him and just drive 6 hours from Virginia.

From Virginia to NYC is the worst part of the whole trip IMHO..I hate going threw Virginia and Maryland on I-95 but Virginia is the worst..The Fredrickburg and Woodbridge area were total nightmares whenever I went threw there.. l lost OVER 6 hours on I-95 in Virginia last year going threw there each way.

On my last run [just recently] I took I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81 to I-78.. It was a lot better then the I-95 run though I did get tied up on I-81 and I-78 due to construction and major accidents.

Overall it was much better then the I-95 way.

When I went the I-95 way the 24 hour normal run went to close to 32 hours each way thanks to Virginia..The other way ended up being 27 hours.

There really is no good way to the NYC area from South Florida but the I-81 way is slightly better IMHO.

sam123

Reaction score
From Virginia to NYC is the worst part of the whole trip IMHO..I hate going threw Virginia and Maryland on I-95 but Virginia is the worst..The Fredrickburg and Woodbridge area were total nightmares whenever I went threw there.. l lost OVER 6 hours on I-95 in Virginia last year going threw there each way.

On my last run [just recently] I took I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81 to I-78.. It was a lot better then the I-95 run though I did get tied up on I-81 and I-78 due to construction and major accidents.

Overall it was much better then the I-95 way.

When I went the I-95 way the 24 hour normal run went to close to 32 hours each way thanks to Virginia..The other way ended up being 27 hours.

There really is no good way to the NYC area from South Florida but the I-81 way is slightly better IMHO.

I agree, but we used waze from Virginia to NYC... didn't get into any major traffic. Wish they had it on Apple CarPlay, but used my wife's phone on android auto instead

rico387

Reaction score
Welcome to Fla. Sorry about the Miami traffic. Hopefully, the tropical depression will break up a little for you. Don't mess with the iguanas in Key West. If you grab one, they'll bite hard enough to make you see stars. BTW- Nice color combo on that truck!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iguanas are good eatin'! Used to run I-95 every couple of days, could make it in 17 hours but usually 22-24 with more leisurely fuel stops and maybe a catnap. Always tried to avoid DC evening traffic, it was like NASCAR back then, all cars bumper to bumper doing 80 mph as far as the eye could see. Spectacular and nerve wracking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667