RIP 1999 Yukon; What Next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Castaway

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My poor 1999 Yukon got totaled recently. She was only 154K miles old. I often used this forum for research when maintaining her. The question now is...what's next? I'd like to stay in the GM Tahoe/Yukon family and was thinking I could drop about 15K on one with pretty low miles if I shopped the 2007-2014 generation. Which of these years, engine/tranny combinations, and trim packeages will give me the fewest headaches and the lowest cost of ownership over time?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My poor 1999 Yukon got totaled recently. She was only 154K miles old. I often used this forum for research when maintaining her. The question now is...what's next? I'd like to stay in the GM Tahoe/Yukon family and was thinking I could drop about 15K on one with pretty low miles if I shopped the 2007-2014 generation. Which of these years, engine/tranny combinations, and trim packeages will give me the fewest headaches and the lowest cost of ownership over time?

Glad to know ya Bryan. Sorry about the truck, but I bet it kept injuries to a minimum. The 6-speed was introduced in 2009. AFM received improvements throughout 2010. 2012 introduced a host of driveability enhancements and an improved navigation system. If you are going for a 4WD truck, decide whether or not you want a 2-speed transfer case. The ones with a single speed TC will have 3.08 gears and lower tow ratings.

2009+ trucks with 3.42 gears will have higher tow ratings and those with HD Cooling will have the highest. Look for K5L and KC4 and KNP. G80 is for the locker. GU6 is 3.42 gears.

ZW7 is the simple suspension with dumb shocks all around. Z55 with G69 is Autoride with air shocks and a compressor and auto leveling. Nicer ride but about $1K to overhaul every 8 years or so.

Most of these are powered with 5.3s and 6.2s. The 5.3s all have AFM and from 2010 on all have VVT. The LC9 (aluminum block) and LMG (Iron block) are FlexFuel engines. The LY5 was available from 2007-2009 and is not FlexFuel. The 6.2s are mostly found in Denalis and Escalades and all have VVT. But we have found them in 2008 (RWD only) and 2009 Tahoes, some 2010 Yukon XL and some Canadian Avalanches and other obscurities. The 2007-2008 L92s are not Flex Fuel. The L9H was only available in the wagons in 2009 and those 2010 XLs, it does not have AFM. The L94 has AFM.

Do any towing? Find one with JL1, the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller.

There's so much more.

What are your needs? Maybe that can help us offer suggestions to zero in on something that exactly meets your needs and wants?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from NH. I hope that you will become a participating member in this Forum's discussions. Learn from and contribute to.

Swathdiver just gave you an excellent start for things to think about, prior to going out and looking in earnest for a replacement truck.

Give us your requirements regarding the replacement trucks, and we can help you narrow down the choices.

Also, folks on this Forum love to help you spend your money. :)

I wish you the best of outcomes on your replacement truck.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010-2014 southern truck that was maintained will go the distance. I have 3.42's in my '13 and would not want to have less and have even considered putting in 3.73's but don't want to lose any fuel mileage as this truck has become our family road trip- highway hauler. Good luck

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sent u info on a cream puff truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
=. Which of these years, engine/tranny combinations, and trim packeages will give me the fewest headaches and the lowest cost of ownership over time?
toyota corolla

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts